Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I would do anything for love ....

Isn't it amazing how unexpectedly hearing a song from your past can give you such a happy feeling? I went to the farmshop for veggies today and Meatloaf was playing loudly on their radio. I had a great time choosing my fruit and veg, humming to 'I would do anything for love'. What I would like to know is what it is he won't do when he says 'but I won't do that' - answers on a postcard please.

I've had a really gentle sort of a day - I think I needed it.

First I had a good chat with my brother who has shouldered most of the pressure this year with Mum's illness and organising care for my Dad - he lives very close to Dad, we're 140 miles away. Now that Dad is getting into more of a routine with his carers my brother has been able to let go a bit and now Mum's death is really hitting him hard. There are so many emotions involved when you lose someone dear. Fear, anger, emptiness and disbelief to name a few and nothing can prepare you for it.

We waved hello to Granny on the walk to school this morning. It was a very cloudy morning and we noticed a strange bright glow where the clouds had parted slightly. We decided it was Granny pulling back the clouds to see what we were up to. My sweet Minx walked all the way down the road waving at the sky and calling 'Hello Granny'!

The children have been so good today and that always makes for a peaceful home :o)

I wanted to do something creative but I didn't want the mess of getting the sewing machine out - mainly because I'd have had to clear it up again before fetching the children from school!

I got out my crochet hook instead and started my first ripple blanket. For you yarn lovers out there look away now as I'm afraid it's acrylic - I know, sorry :o(


Having only recently become more switched on to knitting and crochet I am a bit of a learner with yarn. It's only since seeing and hearing about the beauty of natural fibres on all your lovely blogs that I have come to realise it is worth it. Not sure I'll be able to afford it, that's the only hitch.

I'm amazed how quickly the ripples grow. I really thought it would be very laborious but it's actually quite easy to pick up the pattern and get into a rhythm. This may even get finished!

I rippled whilst listening to Radio 4 - taking plenty of hints from Jane Brocket here - and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've got some granny squares on the go but doing them one at a time does seem to take ages and progress is more than slow on that one!

I was very strong minded and switched off the computer so have not spent hours reading blogs today. I'm going to give myself half an hour max. when I've finished my post and then I'm back to the cabling or rippling or a bit of both.

In case you are in the slightest bit interested this is what I had for lunch today. Home grown tomatoes on yesterday's homemade bread, toasted, with a drizzle of olive oil and plenty of black pepper - deeeelicious !

I thought I'd better slip in a gratuitous Moog shot as it's a while since she's been on show. Here she is making some knitting stinky and hairy a couple of months ago:


Today has made me realise just how lucky I am to have this time to myself at the moment. After years of working and then bringing up children plus working I am very grateful to be able to be at home right now. It is the right time for me to be doing this. Financially it is hard. Not having to dash home from work, fetch the babies from the childminder, throw food together, rush homework and chuck them into bed within a 2 hour slot and then start the housework is something I appreciate every day.

I am also so grateful that my Mum gave me the desire to be creative and let me know that it was ok to make stuff. I can honestly say that I am never bored - except when ironing! I don't know what the future holds work wise but right here and now I'm happy to go with the flow :o)
A lottery win would be helpful though...

6 comments:

Gina said...

That was such a lovely thought provoking post Lesley. There is certainly a peace about being creative and being happy with it, that I know a lot of readers with identify with. I've bought the yarn but have yet to start my ripple stitch blanket - I can't face another half finished project at the moment - but now I'm tempted. (I was knitting socks whilst I listened to Jane on radio 4!)

Bethany said...

I'm guessing Meatloaf won't take a shower... not sure though.

I also loved how you talked about your Grandma. I think the same thing frequently about my Grandpa. My Grandma is 93 and she thinks she feels him next to sometimes. Hmmm.

I am totally with you on the being home full time with the kids. I am working for the first time in a more time consuming job (instead of freelancing at home here and there) and things at work have me wigged out half the time, so I tend to have little patience with the kids at those moments. ugh. I think June will be my resignation time!!!

Becky said...

Bethany Hissong led me to your blog...

I have enjoyed reading your entries. The comments today about staying home were appreciated. I have been home since I had our second son 9 years ago. I am so thankful to be here with them. I am not a good juggler of job and kids. I will be able to juggle the job-thing when they are older.

Thanks for sharing and I will stop back in!

Monkee Maker said...

A lovely post Lesley .... and don't knock acrylic - all my best monkeys are 100%!

Beautiful rippling :)

Locket Pocket said...

Hi Lesley - can you teach ripple stitch by email??? I can't crochet (yet) but am increasingly inspired by all the loveliness going on in blogland! I'm glad you are enjoying being at home - it's quite a nice place isn't it?
Lucy x

trash said...

Lesley? What he will not do is cheat.

He is besotted, in love with, fascinated by and smitten with this woman. And while she is receptive to all of this and even returning it(possibly, not made clear) she is still unsure about his committment to 'them' as a couple.

So I guess she is drawing up the emotional drawbridge to prevent the hurt.

I love listening to Meatloaf/Jim Steinmen songs - it surely is how people felt about Mozart when first played?

(can you tell I did English Lit?)