Thursday, August 14, 2008

what shall we do today then?

With all hopes for long sunny days on the beach dashed by the great British summer, we resorted to Plan B for filling a wet and chilly Wednesday.

A day trip up to London to introduce Monster and Minx to the wonders of the Natural History Museum.

The world and his wife and gazillionty children all had the same idea. As a result the day involved a fair smattering of doing what we do best in this country.....queueing!

To do this wonderful museum justice we really need to spend several weeks there - preferably without children! There is just so much to see and read and we barely scraped the surface.

Monster and I had great fun imagining a night spent there alone a la Night at the Museum.

Mind you - I'd have to get my duster out!!

It's a fascinating glimpse of the weird and wonderful creatures that have inhabited this planet.

At times quite shocking when you note how many are now extinct.....and how recently they have gone.

This case really struck a chord with me. A big display, from one (Victorian) man's collection.
Full of hummingbirds of every type imaginable - complete with tiny nests and eggs.

Is it any wonder with such avid 'collecting' that so many beautiful creatures have become scarce or worse?

Shocking as it is, it does serve as a timely reminder of just how fragile life on this little planet of ours is and places such as the Natural History Museum are invaluable as an educational resource.

Oooh - look at me getting all philosophical at 5.24am.....

.....you can't beat a bit of insomnia for helping you ponder the great questions.....

....such as - Is it time I put the kettle on for my third cup of tea of the day?

Mmm - I think maybe it is :)

Sleep tight xxxx

12 comments:

rachelmp said...

Looks like a great day out! I had a big reality shock the other day when I was flicking through one of Ayden's Aussie Animals books that is 10 years old, and it had "Tasmania Devils - common and secure". Now they are endangered.

Guzzisue said...

I love this place especially the building :-)

trash said...

Put the telly on for the terences and go back to bed woman!

French Knots said...

Goodness some will be overtired and grumpy later!! Hope you managed to squeeze a bit more sleep in.
We have some sunshine here this morning ( that's a first for August!!) so I'll send some down your way.

Locket Pocket said...

I haven't been there for years and years - so long ago in fact that I'm not sure I've EVER been (but I probably have!)

Glad you had a good time - shame about the queues though - why can't people just go and find something else to do on the day you want to go there?

Locket xxx

Louise said...

You do have a way with words Lesley, your posts are always so well written and fun to read! What about this weather, just as you thought it was safe to go out, another saturating downpour! You did the right thing by visiting a museum, even if the whole world and his wife had the same idea. You are like me for a cup of tea, can't do anything without one. x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

such a great place to lose few hours in

Gina said...

Sounds like a fabulous day out despite the queues... but what you doing up at that time woman??? (I was up on the computer by 5 am on Tuesday... do you think it's something in the air?)

artisbliss said...

What a fantastic place, even if you did have to stand in line.

wonderwoman said...

sounds like you had fun in spite of the queues, have never been there yet, although the kids have on various school trips. if i'd known you were up at 5 i could have joined you! spot of insomnia myself!

Leanne said...

It's a great place our kids loved the day we spent there....I'm with you on our planet we had better listen to mother nature she can't keep going if we don't look after her.

Bethany said...

You brought up some very interesting points there... I'll have to think about that!