Thursday, August 14, 2008

My big day off

After an early start thanks to my lovely husband who fell asleep downstairs last night and then barged upstairs like an elephant at 3am, fell on the bed and was asleep again in nanoseconds I was feeling a little tired and jaded today.

However, this was my one and only day off this summer, pre-arranged with Moogsdad, and I had some serious sewing to do.

So, whilst the man himself took the beasties to the zoo I blew the dust off the sewing machine and got cracking.

We are going to visit one of my cousins next week and I thought she deserved a little something:

...with a vintage tablecloth lining....


....and for her two little folk a couple of these....


.... a very much simplified version of the pencil roll from this book.

I chose not to make them with rainbow-coloured patchwork pieced fabric and instead of a tie closure I stitched one of Minx's hair bands into the side seam and stitched a button on. I just thought this might be a bit less fiddly for a 3 year old and 5 year old to cope with.

After a 3 mile round trip - walking, might I add as he had the car!!! - to the hairdresser for a much needed trim, I returned home to find the family had returned from their trip to the zoo.

I suppose 5 hours off is almost a day...give or take the odd 19 hours....

This evening the man of the house is out on the razz and I shamelessly parked the mini-beasts in front of a DVD to enable me to squeeze just a bit more sewing into my 'day off'.

Some secret sewing for someone's upcoming birthday :)


Unfortunately I have run out of time and umph to make a start on my gorgeously gorgeous
purchase from Jodie's etsy shop.


Now right at the top of my to do list...along with the red and turquoise (currently being studiously ignored) quilt!!


In lieu of more sewing action, here's an interesting entomological find. A very pretty little moth on my tomato plants.

If you are a bit of a whizz on British moths and can tell me what this is, it will be much appreciated - my book of butterflies and moths has let me down and this little chap is a mystery.

Being a girl of a scientific bent (as it were!!) - I do like to give things a name :)


I would now like to excuse myself from blogland for a wee while. We have a busy sort of a week ahead and I need to be a part of it.

I'll be back soon with tales to tell :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

21 comments:

Julie said...

Ooh! First to comment and I'm too tired to think! Where would I fond your Aunty Margaret at the FOQ? I'm going (again) on Saturday and could say Hi!

Have a good week next week. Hope the sun shines whatever you're doing.

Julie said...

I meant "find" Oops!

Leanne said...

Those pencil rolls are so bright and cheery......great idea with the hair ties......sorry can't help with the moth....have a great busy week.

Locket Pocket said...

Oooooh ooooh OOOOOOH!!!! It's for me it's for me it's for me!!!! So what is it then???? Go on! Tell me! NOW! !!!

No, don't actually coz I like surprises!

But not the kind of surprises like you having a bloggy holiday! Snot fair! It will be way too quiet without you.

Cool bag and pencil rolls though and that moth is rather gorgeous - don't know his name though. Sorry. You could always approach him with a "hello Mr Moth" and see where that gets you................

Sprocket xxxx

Thimbleanna said...

I swear, half the fun of reading your blog posts is seeing what Sprocket has to say (and the inverse is true of her posts)! You're SO funny, but really...you don't have to make a little surprise for ME. Go ahead and give it to Lucy LOL. LOVE the bag with the birdies. So glad you got some sewing time -- even if your man of the house did that bonehead middle of the night maneuver -- I'm thinking he's the long lost twin of my man of the house!

jo said...

How do you get so much done in 5 hours? Love the pencil rolls.

Jodie said...

Have a great week off Leslie. You get so much done , I am in awe of you.

French Knots said...

Looks like you got plenty done in your free time, love the bag!
I made a pencil roll but when stitching along to the end of each pocket I had extra fabric from somewhere and it looked a right mess! Perhaps I need a walking foot.
Have a good week!

Angela said...

Your cousin and little ones are going to be very pleased when they see you.The bag is lovely.Have a great week.

silverpebble said...

I think that's a kind of Tortricoid moth - their caterpillars roll leaves up to make a little house - sounds like a good plan in this dodgy property climate!!! I am a nerd and I don't care.

Magic sewing there Mrs Moog - love that birdy fabric and pencil rolls are such a great plan for littlies.

silverpebble said...

It 's Pyrausta Aurata http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1361

Louise said...

My moths book let me down too, I am so glad Silverpebble has put us out of our misery! Your an absolute whizz at craft projects, there really is no stopping you. Have a great week with the mini-beasts! x

Gina said...

Some lovely sewing going on there. Can't help with the moth though... lucky silver pebble seems to know what she's talking about! I missed your aunty Margaret at the FOQ on Friday!
Gina x

Louise said...

Hi Lesley, there's an award waiting for you on my blog. x

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesley,

How fabulous that you have a man who takes the little ones off your hands for a whole day! Ok ... half a day! Ok ... a couple of hours ... but he still takes them off your hands, right? Brill.

And what's with the shameless use of a DVD? I'll have you know that my two know ALL the words to half of all the Disney films verbatim, and that's no mean feat ;)

I'm with you on the lack of sleep while camping thing, and I love love LOVE Minx's adapted jeans and your funky T.

Hope you have fun with your family this week.

:)

Bethany said...

I LOVE your tote bag you made with the birds!!! And those pencil rolls are fabulous!!! Your idea with the hair bands is brilliant! I feel so disconnected lately... I've missed keeping up with your escapades! Hope you have a great week!!

est said...

haha the 'elephant' part really cracked me up! nice pencil rolls! especially the cloud fabric. so cute!

Jane said...

Lovely sewing, those pencil rolls are brilliant. Your bag looks lovely too, I love mine you made. Thanks again. Hope you have a good week and manage a little more crafting. Jane x

Jennie said...

The bags and pencil rolls are lovely!
Sorry you didn't get a longer day off.
Hope you have a lovely bloggy holiday!

Unknown said...

My husband also has the delicate footsteps of an elephant ;-)

dottycookie said...

Lovely lovely sewing Mrs Moogsmum! And now then, who told Mr M that a day off has only 5 hours, hmmm? I think he must have been talking to Mr DC ...