Monday, August 25, 2008

Homegrown goodness

Usually, when we get home from a holiday, the cupboards are pretty bare Chez Moog.

This time it's different.

Deliciously different.

Thanks to my little veg plot and our lovely feathered friends we have come home to this little lot:

The chickens and Moog were superbly well taken care of while we were away, by our lovely neighbours - even though Moogsdad left it until three days before we went to ask them! (This was the one job I asked him to do...or rather nagged him to do for a month!!)

We came home to a very happy Moog and four chirpy chickens who had laid a magnificent 28 eggs while we were away. A dozen were given to our chicken-sitters, leaving us with a lovely lunch today and more besides :)

I can't get over how wonderful it is to have home-grown veg and home-laid eggs. In fact, plans are afoot to grow even more next year. I anticipate a winter of cosy evenings with my gardening books.

As if that home-grown goodness wasn't enough to come home to, I also got a lovely blog award - twice!!

A huge thank you to Louise and Jane for my lovely award :)

There are rules to this award and the main one is to pass the award onto seven of my favourite bloggers. Having perused Jane and Louise's blogs it seems they've nominated just about everyone I would have...and if I miss anyone out they'll no doubt be covered by the other awardees!!

So - as per usual - I will say 'here have an award' to anyone who reads my blog and thank you for making blogland such a great place to be :)

xxxx

10 comments:

Daisie said...

Glad you are not like Mother Hubbard and your cupboards are full, egg buttie anyone?!
Just found you by happy accident and wanted to say 'Hello!'
XXX

Louise said...

You must have been well chuffed to return home to all that lovely home-grown produce, all the ingredients to make a huge frittata, just needing a cow for the milk! Welcome home, and congratulations on winning the award twice. x

Gina said...

I'm getting more and more determined to have chickens! Perhaps you are a bad influence on me!

Locket Pocket said...

What gorgeous home-grown goodies! Definitely planning on getting hens back again - just need to work out a better housing arrangement for them! Locket xxx

silverpebble said...

Well, Hugh Fearnsley Moog that looks like some tasty bounty. Some big fat omelettes look likely! Miss P2 squawking - must dash. Emma x

wonderwoman said...

i know what you mean about growing your own, there's nothing like it, although this year you name the pest we've had it!! but its still worthwhile. and chickens are the best, they are so funny, i love watching them - more time wasted!! but what rewards!

xx

Jennie said...

Glad you had a good holiday and what wonderful goodies to come home too!!!

French Knots said...

Must be like The Good Life at Moogs Manor!
I'd love chickens but just havn't got room to squeeze them in my little patch. Very jealous of all your tomatoes, I've hardly got any this year for some reason and there's nothing like home grown tomatoes on toast, mmm!

dottycookie said...

Oh my, I don't want to live in the Mamma Mia house, I want to live in your house and eat your food!

artisbliss said...

I love this post, your lovely produce and eggs. What good chickens you have. Did you combine the eggs and veggies for a great meal?

I have to admit I misread the part where it said the neighbors were caring for your chickens and thought it said children. Glad I re-read it!