Monday, May 19, 2008

Huh - part timers.....

My new job has been going really well and I'm really enjoying it. I was finding, however, that I was doing much more than the 22.5 hours a week that I'm paid for - one of the penalties of working from home. That's not so bad in itself but I felt that home life and maybe more importantly crafty time was suffering!

I realised last week that I had an option.

When I took the job we agreed that I'd start off by working 4.5 hours every day. In reality this soon became 6+ a day. We also agreed that this was open to review once my initial training was over.

Today I took the bull by the horns and asked if I could change my working week.

So, from now on I'll be working four days instead of five and having a whole day off during the week - and it's all mine!!!!! My poor neglected sewing machine may see the light of day once more!

Although it's not a drastic change it will make such a difference to how I feel about going back to work :)


The naughty Sausage Monster was full of cold this weekend, with a very sore little nose :( To make him feel a bit better I sat and crocheted him a friend while he sat and sniffed.

This is a great free pattern from here. His feet were sort of cobbled together as I lost my way with the pattern - he still stands unaided though!

Sausage did give him a name but I can't for the life of me remember what it is!


I've also joined in with The Toadstool Swap at Lucykate Crafts which I'm really looking forward to. I need a little handsewing project to do as we're going camping very soon and I need something crafty to keep me sane while we're sheltering from the rain!!

Big hi to my swap partner Dyan - all the way from Jamaica :)


I'm off now for a bit of a lurk and then it's beddy byes for me.....



xxxxx

21 comments:

Kaz said...

Yay yay and other whoo's!! So glad you've got a day off sorted. It has beena trifle quiet in your corner of blog world.

Love the monster, and let's hope the snot dries up soon.

xx

Locket Pocket said...

Your alien is fabtastic! Even the designer had problems with the feet (I was reading through the pattern earlier)!

Great news about the job too - just think, more time to talk to me now!!!!!

Me xxx

Leanne said...

Well done on the work front. I love the alien..... shame I can't crochet.
Hope the sausage monster is feeling better soon.

quiltdude said...

A 4 day week sounds great to me, I think a lot of people would like that. Good for you for asking and sorting it out.
Love the alien. may have to make one today while I nurse my sunburn.
X Clare

est said...

yr little crocheted creature is so cute!!! i'm so happy with your new work arrangement! sure you'll have more free-fun time with your sewing! :)

Julie said...

Great news Lesley! You'll feel so much better with a day to yourself. Well done for being brave enough to sort it. :o))

I love Monster's monster and I hope it will help him feel much better soon.

Thanks for the laugh too, that sounds like my mystique too!

French Knots said...

Four days a week is great, when I was working I did four days and the extra dau really makes a difference to home life.
Lovin' the little green fella!

. said...

Four days weeks rock! That's what I'm working at the moment and I love it.

Very cool alien! His feet are fab!

xMx

Mama said...

That alien is so great!!! Now I MUST learn how to progress past the single chain stitch : )

ps: are you available for International consultation? I'd like to change my work week to three office days at the five office days + working from home pay.
Much obliged.

Bethany said...

Your little alien dude is great! And I am impressed that you asked for fewer days! That is why I ended up quitting my "part-time" job before Christmas... they failed to see how many hours (non-billable hours) that I was working and it was too much! I'm glad you have one of your days back now. Tell the little sausage monster that he needs to feel better soon! (Although if I were getting cute toys like that, I'd fake illness!)

Ali said...

Hey, it's the snot monster! Every kid with a cold needs one.

And good on you for tweaking the working week. I'm sure it'll be a lot easier keeping a work free day than trying to limit your hours.

Kitty said...

Ha! I used to have a badge very similar to that last picture, as my avatar on a forum. It said 'Being a crabby bitch is part of my charm' :-D

That green alien is absolutely fabtastic. And I for one am as chuffed as can be that you'll be having some craftiness in your week(s).

Take care. x

Charlie P said...

Heh heh- love the "curious alien"...what's he curious about, I wonder?

artisbliss said...

Good to hear from you on my blog today, and I'm glad you're figuring out ways to work and have a life at the same time. Your little green friend is adorable. I'm sure Sausage Monster feels better just having him nearby.

That crabby lady is great. Sounds just like my ex-sister in law.

Rubyred said...

You clever thing,I would love to learn how to crochet.Havent mastered it yet though!
Rachel x

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesley,
Hugs for the sausage monster, I hope he's better soon. Having that one day off from work really can make a difference with your energy overall...thus giving you time for crafting - fun stuff! Thanks for saying hello, I was going to write about the swap tomorrow! The little alien looks cute, I should check out that pattern. Have a great day.
Lots of Love,
Dy

Jane said...

I love your Curious Alien, Em things he's cute too. Glad you are winning a day to yourself. Happy crafting Jane x

Jodie said...

oh yes !!! I have been there, 4.5 hrs a day but never less than 6 in reality - well done on getting the day. I have that as well now and it is the most wonderful thing- although I am sure that the day I am at home is shorter than the days I am at work...

Gina said...

That's a very impressive crochet alien and good news about the job.
Get well soon Monster!
Gina x

dottycookie said...

Good for you standing up for yourself. It's all too easy to get sucked into more hours, and unpaid overtime, and going in on your day off 'just to help them out'. When it started costing me money to go in to work (my nursery bills were never refunded, so even with time off in lieu it was no good) I did the same. Though that's all in the past now ;-)

I LOVE your alien!

Louise said...

I hope you have got the work/home balance just right now. I would really like to be able to work from home. Let's hope by now that the Sausage Monster is starting to feel better. The crochet creature looks like an alien, so how about calling him Saturn Sniff, a take on sat and sniffed! x