Friday, July 2, 2010

UB40 and socks

Last weekend was one of the best I've had in a very long time.

Some time back my friend's husband asked me if I'd like to go and see UB40 at Broadlands with him in June - he's a massive fan and has seen them 15 times.

Where I grew up in Birmingham, was very close to where UB40 started out and I knew loads of people who knew them. I even used to serve Brian, the saxophonist, in the florist shop that I worked in - he lived just round the corner and bought flowers for his wife every week :o)

However, I'd never actually been to a UB40 concert. Now I can't imagine what took me so long!

Saturday night was just fantastic!! The venue was beautiful. The atmosphere was amazing - so incredibly friendly, relaxed and happy. The staff at the venue were lovely. The support band, The Dualers, were awesome, with so much energy and very obviously having the time of their lives and their music was a perfect warm-up for UB40.

As for UB40 themselves - wow!! Not only truly brilliant performers and superb musicians but the nicest bunch of guys who quite evidently love and appreciate their fans. I'll definitely be going to see them again!

I'm not sure what was the best bit of the weekend - going to see UB40 or getting to spend it with very dear friends who we haven't seen for a few years. As an added bonus, their little boy got on brilliantly with Minx and Monster and they're all asking when we can meet up again :o)

Sigh.......


Right then. Back to business.

Knitting.

Having set myself a bit of a challenge to finish a few neglected projects I got stuck into the knitting last week, while Mr Moog watched the football.

Finished: Jaywalker socks


Finished: Monster's new socks


Not bad going if I do say so myself. Of course, I had intended to finish Minx's scarf too but seeing as we're in the middle of a heatwave and she won't be wearing it for at least four months the management and I concluded that it was ok for me to neglect it for a bit longer.

For the first time in months I had no socks on the needles. Shocking!

Soon remedied that. These are my July Sock Challenge socks - Trilobite socks from this lovely book - knit from the toe up.



Mrs Stashbasket and I have discussed this month's challenge and have opted to make it a Freestyle month. If you want to join in, you can choose any pattern you want - as long as you let us know which one!

Happy socking :o)

8 comments:

French Knots said...

It is so amazing to see a band live that you have loved since teenage years especially when they live up to and exceed your expectations. You'll be off to a festival next!x

Locket Pocket said...

Sounds fabby! And I love your Jaywalkers!!! ;o) Me x

Twiggy said...

oooo UB40 are just right for these hot days and sultry evenings, how fab!! Love the socks missus.
twiggy x

Twiggy said...

PS I spent all last weekend after seeing Muse at Glasto on TV, moaning why wasn't I there - bah !!!
Twiggy :)

wonderwoman said...

i love UB40 - you lucky girl you!!! those socks are all a-maz-ing!!!

xxx

Thimbleanna said...

Love those socks Mrs. Moog -- they're both very pretty. And now, don't I feel old....I have no idea who UB40 is -- it sounds like a spray oil we have here in the states. ;-)

quiltygal said...

LOVE UB40 saw them here a few years ago Astro can carry me off any time !!! west indian accents just melt me ( that & the dreads) Im a reggae girl from way back....love ya socks too..

Deborah OHare said...

Just came across your blog and had to comment as UB40 were the first live act I ever saw, more years ago than I care to remember. I think I was still at school.
Happy times!