Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A woman of many obsessions....

I've been an absentee blogger of late.

Google Reader tells me I have 437 posts to read.

I'm missing out on all that's been going on.

I have no idea what you've all been up to.

I lay all the blame for this period of neglect squarely with my tendency to become obsessed with the latest project.

A couple of weeks back I was all about socks.

Then it was folding paper.

This week I are been mostly revamping Minx's wardrobe (say in Jesse's voice please) :-)

But first there was a little pressie to be made for her classmate's birthday (she strikes me as a bit of a bling girl!).


A recent foray into Minx's wardrobe told me that she had grown. She also tends to be pretty hard on her clothes and therefore looks like a total scruff 90% of the time!!

Minx has told me she'd like clothes and make-up for Christmas - what self-respecting 7 year old wouldn't?!!

An upcoming pre-Christmas family get together had me panicking slightly. Her only smartish clothes are summer ones. I also couldn't afford to spend loads this side of Christmas.

So I dug out a skirt pattern, a denim pillowcase, a length of suit fabric bought 4 years ago and an old bridesmaid dress plus a 1950's vintage curtain from a charity shop haul ages ago.

The pattern is a Simplicity 'Lizzie McGuire' skirt pattern (no.4616) - I've tried to find it on the internets but have failed dismally!!
Made from a thrifted denim pillowcase and buttons from said pillowcase - cost about 25p :-)


The denim one is done (almost) according to the pattern, complete with the button tab detail.

One thing that has occured to me is this. As the daughter of a keen dressmaker I understand fully that feeling of wearing 'homemade' clothes. Now, don't get me wrong - my Mum was a great dressmaker but it was the era of Crimplene and Trevera fabrics when she was in full-on 'sewing for my daughter' mode.


These days the clothes that we see in the shops have that extra bit of detail that make them a little less ordinary. I knew that in order to make Minx feel trendy and happy in her new clothes I'd have to fancy them up a bit.....which led to this one.....


A fluted skirt from the same pattern. Modified with a ruffle round the hem and an appliqued flower - this now has gold bead stamens in the centre at Minx's request :-)

I bought this fabric for me four years ago. I reckon that makes this one cost nothing ;-)


So far so good - both skirts fit like they were made for her...and she likes them!!


....and finally.
A little panelled skirt made from the Laura Ashley wonder that I wore at my brother's wedding 17 years ago. I reckon this one also cost nothing :-)

I modified the pattern on this one by doing flat fell seams on the front and back seams which I then topstitched.


A trip to the fabric shop for a hefty supply of zips led me to buy this pattern.

The combination of this 1950's (I think) barkcloth (possibly?) vintage curtain and that damson coloured velvet had been squirreled away in my brain for an awfully long time.

I'm pleased to say it came out just how I imagined it.

I just hope the little woman likes it too!!

To make sure she looks cool and trendy and not homemade and dweeby, she'll be wearing this with some groovy tights and the fake Ugg boots that she bought with her pocket money last week - for the princely sum of £8 at Tesco's!

Apart from the fact that madam has ordered two pinafore dresses that's just about it for now.


I may allow myself the luxury of reading your blogs tonight.....but then again, I hear the siren call of the sewing machine....
xxxx

33 comments:

. said...

I totally LOVE that purple skirt! The jacket is pretty snazzy too... and the other skirts... and indeed the bag. Time away from blogs well spent I'd say :)

xMx

Quinn said...

Goodness gracious, when you take a tiny break from blogging, you are not lounging about, are you???

The skirts are darling, and the velvet & floral ensemble is absolutely luscious - lucky, lucky Minx!

Kitty said...

Those skirts are all 'wow'! I love the puppytooth check one best - inspired rufflage and appliqué. If you could do me one for a week next Tuesday, that'd be good. OK? Ta. x

Locket Pocket said...

Absolutely brilliant!!!!! I have some very envious daughters here!

Locket xxx

Rachel said...

Goodness, are there no end to your talents?! Those skirts are gorgeous (almost makes me wish I had a little girl to make pretty clothes for!) and what a fab jacket too! :)

maria said...

The clothes are fantastic. They don't look like the obviously homemade clothes I had as a child (sorry mum!).
They are a great use of fabrics you already have. Very imaginative.

trash said...

Are you taking orders in time for Christmas?

French Knots said...

Lovely work Mrs Moog!Will you make me some too please?? To fit my growing bump in? I have a large duvet cover you might be able to refashion for me!! xx

silverpebble said...

This week I will mostly be thinking that you're brilliant. Make do and mend? Worthy wartime ladies making swim suits out of teatowels? Pah! They had nothing on you.

Julie said...

Lots of lovliness, I hope it's a success with your young lady!

I know all about homemade too and Trevera - now there's a word from the past!

willywagtail said...

You have been working hard. And I love the fact that the clothes were all made with things in your house already. Very thrifty and up to date. Cherrie

artisbliss said...

You are a wonder. That is the best use of an old bridesmaid dress I've ever seen! I hope Miss Minx loves the clothes and appreciates her creative mother.

Ali said...

Oh you truly are a wonder-mummy! And that little check one - I'd buy that for moi (or perhaps I'm a little crinkly to get away with ruffles).

marit said...

Lucky, lucky Minx!!! And Lucky, lucky you that are "being allowed" to sew for her!!! GREAT outfits!

Calidore said...

Well done on the sewing efforts. The clothes look fantastic.
I think you deserve time off for good behaviour...vbg.

rachelmp said...

How fantastic! I'll have to make a start on some summer dresses for Maya (good intentions..) I'm inspired!

Gina said...

Good grief woman.... I'm totally in awe of your dressmaking and designing skills! What fabulous outfits... could you run me up one of those checked skirts... before Christmas...????

dottycookie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous! I can still get away with tunic style dresses and skirts gathered onto waistbands - but I LOVE your Lizzie McGuire ones. I feel a trip to the pattern books coming on ...

Thimbleanna said...

You are truly a woman obsessed! Very Well Done on all the clothing for the princess -- they're all beautiful. Congratulations on the sock finish too -- they're also beautiful!

And thank you, thank you for posting the tutorial for the recycled bags. The knit shop where Lucy and I met in Edinburgh had those bags and I love them. Now I can make them!!!

Selfsewn said...

I am the daughter of a dressmaker too, so I know just what you mean! I hope your daughter makes her friends jealous with all her haut couture!
Clare

Kaz said...

Wow Lesley, those are some fabby bargain garments you have made!

I too, was dragged up in home-made crimplene (not saying you were dragged up. I most definately was)! I wish we'd had fabrics like those.

Lovely the brown one the best I think!

Kaz xx

wonderwoman said...

well they are just lovely - aren't you a fab mum! and soo clever!

xxx

JuliaB said...

WOW!! you clever thing. I like all of them but the purple skirt is extra special I think. Something to do with the seams? I don't know, but I would like one!! x

Anonymous said...

i love those skirts. I have made two items for my little girl (she is only 2 but already into clothes). It is so fantastic. I cant believe how talented you are at dressmaking well done

Twiggy said...

Blimey you're clever. The skirt and jacket are fab, I'm sure Minxy will love them. Will you make me one please, but would need to be MUCH bigger :)
Twiggy x

Michaela said...

Gobsmacked. Those are very impressive clothes there Mrs Moog. I love that jacket so much, wish I could have one too!

est said...

the skirts are so cool!!

BIG sister Ally said...

I'm not letting my daughter have a look at your crafty creations - she will definitely want something similar, dead trendy especialy the embroidered applique flower.

I still haven't fathomed out how you blog, read comments read and write posts and comments on other peoples blogs and still find time to craft and work - amazing. Especially with Christmas coming.

Ally x

Anonymous said...

Oooh, those are some smashing togs Mrs. M - I agree with Michaela .... I'd love a jacket like that. You could give Boden a run for their money!

:)

Jane said...

Your skirts and jacket are beautiful, i hope Minx liked them too. there is an award for you over at my blog. Jane x

Bethany said...

These are SOOOOO cute!!! You amaze me!

Country Bliss said...

Fantastic skirts and the jacket is gorgeous, brilliant choice of fabric.
Yvonne

monda-loves said...

wow, these are really fab - i bet you daughter looks like the bees knees in all this fancy get up!. I sat down tonight to blog read too - I had 437 - I'm now on 361!

I read also about your SIL in a post further up there. She sounds like a delight! Nuff said. LOL.

Monda
x