Friday, July 11, 2008

Seven days and counting....

I have just seven working days left until I break up for the summer holidays and, quite frankly, I can't wait. Although I really enjoy my 'new' job, I really enjoy being at home even more.

As the end of term is so nearly here I had to get a wriggle on with my 'Thank You for having us' present for the infants' school that my naughty babes have attended over the course of the past four years.

Here it is - in blog finished form as I still need to fix a message to the reverse.

(Moogsdad - being of a security conscious and untrusting nature - requested I blur the school's name if I was putting this on the interwebs!!)

I used red for the school colours and found this lovely cloudy fabric in Hobbycraft for the reverse. Monster and Minx obligingly drew the animal pictures for me, which I then appliqued.

This was my first foray into the world of patchwork and quilting, apart from a couple of mini-quilts, and I'm quite pleased with it. I know it's not perfect but hopefully the recipients will like it.

I now seem to have an overwhelming urge to make a patchwork throw for the living room, so this little package, that I ordered from a lovely etsy seller, may be very timely.






There's a beautiful (and simple!) throw pattern in Amy Butler's book (an accidental Amazon order that arrived today!!) that I may use.

Before I whizz off to catch up on all your lovely blogs here is the chicken news:

2 eggs every day this week and, for the past three days, a soggy shelled one too. It seems that we may soon be onto three eggs a day, as someone is practising :)

I hope the sun shines on you this weekend xxxxx

14 comments:

trash said...

ooo! Lots of lovely sewing there Missus. Loving the animals drawn by the naughties.

I squinted real hard and everything but the writing in the middle seems to say 'Today's child is cornflake's future.' Why? Surely the only future cornflakes have involves a bowl, a spoon and some icy cold milk? I have to tell you this is not a what I envisage for my chidren and having met yours, suggest it is not for them either.

BTW glad to have induced you into physical unwellness ;-)!!

Lottie and Me said...

Oooh, love this blogging business, such nice people and nice comments - thanks. Had a quick look at your lovely work, seems to me you're a bit of a whizz on the machine! Just attempting some grown up bunting - arrrrghhhh - Help!!!!

Jennie said...

OOh I love it!!! It's gorgeous. I really hope they love it too! well done to all of you!!
You shall have to be selling your eggs soon door to door you'll have so many...

Bethany said...

Your quilt is just beautiful! And I know which throw you're talking about in that book! (It appeared here mysteriously too... I just hit a button and wa-la!). I have been reading really good things about eggs laid by pet chickens! It sounds like things are going really great with yours. Gosh-- I'm sewing, and now thinking of raising chickens. Do you see how much you inspire me? ;) BTW I think you have Kokeshi patterned fabric in there!!! I love all the colorful prints!

silverpebble said...

The finished quilt is really magic - the animal drawings have come out so well - fab. Those fabrics are luscious too.

Clever chickens. What have you been cooking up with the eggy goodness?

Locket Pocket said...

Oh flippin' heck Mrs Mother of The Moog, that quilt is AMAZING!!!!! What a lucky St Scribblely-Blob school to get such a fab leaving present from your naughties!

Sorry not to have commented earlier - Mr Locket made me drink far too much of that medicinal red wine that I prescribed for you (thought I ought to try it too you see) and I fell asleep! Naughty Mr Locket - not my fault at all............!

Gina said...

That is a wonderful quilt! Beautiful!
xxx

Twiggy said...

The quilt is gorgeous what a lovely idea, love the fabric bundle too!
Twiggy

Jodie said...

What a lucky school St smudgey is..to have you making them such a great quilt...as to soggy shells, maybe your chookies need some more grit in their diet - true!!!!

Annie said...

As you start on your holidays so soon, we head into Term 3 mid winter. Another 10 weeks until our next holiday. Enjoy the break. I have loved being home the last 2 weeks. Loved your school quilting.

wonderwoman said...

wow that is great quilt - trouble is you'll find yourself getting hooked now! but that's not necessarily a bad thing - just means even less time for that housework stuff!

Julie said...

Your quilt is gorgeous Lesley! I can't believe you haven't done this before! And that fabric is scrumptious :)

Kitty said...

That's a beautiful quilt - I'm sure the school are going to be over the moon with it.

And I can't wait to see your throwover - which, I've no doubt, will be fabtastic!

Here's to a speedy next 7 days for you. xx

Leanne said...

What a lovely quilt...great drawings from the moog children.