Sunday, May 20, 2012

Impatient, moi?

It's been a very exciting week in the house of Moog.

 A few days ago I met up with my new spinning friend Dawn, after 'meeting' in the UK Spinners group on Ravelry. In our online chat we discovered we only live a mile apart and Dawn very kindly invited me into her home to play with her three spinning wheels.

So it was that I found myself spending a lovely morning spinning and chatting with Dawn, and discovering that she hails from the West Midlands just like me. It was like we'd known each other for ages and I immediately felt relaxed in her company. The internet is such an amazing place for meeting like-minded people.

Incredibly, just a couple of hours after meeting for the first time Dawn entrusted me with one of her precious wheels! I brought home her beautiful Ashford Traditional wheel and have been having a brilliant time getting to know this wonderful 'new' craft.

I think it's safe to say I've fallen in love with spinning.


This is the proceeds of my first lone spinning session. They're a bit thick and thin and a bit overpsun in places but you know, I absolutely love them!

I was amazed at just how fast wheel spinning is compared to using a drop spindle and steamed through two lots of fibre in no time. Now I can see why spinners start using raw fleece or spinning their dog hair!!

It could be a while before I spin anything suitable for socks but I'm going to have lots of fun practising.....and in the next few days I'll be welcoming a new little wooden friend into my life :o)

Happy spinning!

xxx

13 comments:

French Knots said...

Oh how exciting, I bet it is like magic transforming the fibres into such beautiful wool. Happy spinningx

Daisie said...

Fantastic, very impressive indeed! Especially loving the yellow yarn, mmmmm...
xxx

Quinn said...

Wholly guacamole! That yarn looks lovely! (I almost typed "lovable" - and I think that is true as well!!) Wish I could reach right into the computer and smoosh it just a little :)

Looking forward to further adventures...

Gina said...

How clever. Absolutely love the blue one

Locket Pocket said...

Yummy! Love the turquoise one! You are clever!! Lucy xx

Calidore said...

You. Impatient? Never...vbg. Love the yarn you have spun. Don't worry about it not being even - trust me practice will help and all of a sudden it will click.

julie said...

Yay I can comment again - that grey veil has disappeared in time for me to see the beautiful results of your spinning - love the yellow one especially. Hope you keep going with it, maybe you'll take commissions in future?

Dawn said...

Hi, tried to leave a comment on a previous post but couldn't get to it.
I was great to meet a new friend, and your spinning is looking wonderful. Someone once said to me that I had a natural aptitude to spinning, I think you do too.

Can't wait to see your new arrival :-)

Angela said...

Your spinning efforts look great. I love both colours.

Leanne said...

Your wool is lovely. I could supply you with tons of Jack Russell fur if that would be of any use. I only have to sweep my floor once and I am sure you would have enough to knot a jumper LOL.

wonderwoman said...

gorgeous spinning - i love the fact that you get thick and thin bits, makes for a lovely texture.

xxxx

mrspao said...

Spinning is great fun! Your yarn looks wonderful.

silverpebble said...

Moogs!!! *faints at the sheer spinning beauty*