Friday, September 24, 2010

Hooked

It would seem that knitting has taken a bit of a back seat this past week. I had an overwhelming urge to finish my big-granny blanket and when I get an overwhelming urge things tend to happen.

In just four days (evenings) I went from 9 completed squares, each comprised of twelve rounds of grannying, to 25.....all sewn together and with a border of five more granny rows!



The colours were chosen with the help of my favourite Cath Kidston handbag and although my squares are not entirely square this little blanket makes me very very happy indeed.



Of course, one thing tends to lead to another and I decided I should finish off my hexagon blanket that has lain neglected for months.

Somehow I just couldn't face making another hundred or so hexagons to make it bigger, so made a management decision to leave it as a small but cosy lap blanket with a few rows of pretty edging to make it look a bit more 'done'.



This is also making me very happy indeed.



Naturally, with two 'big' projects finished there was nothing else for it but to start another.



Flowers in the snow.



I could be working on this one for some time.......the plan is to make a cover for our kingsize bed. Forty circles done so far, of which four have been made up into squares.

I reckon I may need about 400.

Like I said.......this could take some time!

Before I head off to make the most of the children being away at a stayawakeover, I must point you to Trashy's blog. If you fancy getting together for a fabulous sewing retreat with a whole bunch of lovely bloggers next autumn, then please let Trashy know right now.

She's looking for enough of us to make it into a fabulous northern hemisphere version of Sew It Together that our southern bloggy buddies enjoyed this year. So go over to Trashy's blog right now and say 'yes please' on her poll!
Happy weekend :o)
xxxx

22 comments:

French Knots said...

Oh I have blanket envy! Such gorgeous snuggliness, just right for autumn evenings. xx

Colette said...

From the speed you seem to crochet, I don't reckon that new blanket will take you that long!!!!!

trash said...

I think you may have typed my name just about enough times. Thanks :-)

Daisie said...

Loving the flowers in the snow :)
xxx

Keepapi Creative said...

Tehe. I love that urge to start something new when other projects still pile up.
Must be something in the autumnal air. I started teaching my 8yr old to make granny squares today. xx

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Woman! That's a lot of hooky. I LOVE love love that first blanket, and the second one too....{sigh}. Beautiful crocheting!!!

Twiggy said...

Oooo that is so beautiful and cosy.
Twiggy x

Lucky-1 said...

Wow a hexi crochet blanket...never seen one of those before....looks FAB:)

dottycookie said...

Berlimey! Looks good Mrs Moogsmum!

Quinn said...

I was thinking the first blanket looks as cheerful as a summer garden, then I got to your "flowers in the snow" - you are making all the seasons in cozy colorful floweriness! Lovely :)

Lina said...

Wow. Beautiful colours and great hookery!

Jodie said...

Awesome work Moogs - if anyone can organise the UK for a sew it together, it would be trash...

wonderwoman said...

loverly blankets Mrs Moog - i must get on and finish mine although i am tempted to start a stripey one - i just happened to buy some wool last week!!!

silverpebble said...

Good grief. I have fainted clean away at the beauty in this here post. That granny blanket is beeee-oootiful.

monda-loves said...

ooh swoon. They're all lovely. My hooking efforts are slow. I need to take your lead and get my granny stripe finished asap.

Monda
x

Locket Pocket said...

They all look gorgeous! I'm always really impressed that you can DO big projects! I always get bored and distracted!!! Me xx

marit said...

Gorgeous!

Gina said...

Love your blankets. I'm thinking I might have to resort to your solution for my hexagon blanket too.

Michaela said...

Oh those blankets are so beautiful I wish I could make myself get on with my blankie. It has dragged for me! Am also beginning to wish I could crochet, as your squares have zipped along so much faster than my knitted ones. Oh feeling inadequate again over here. And extremely jealous!

translation services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh haven't you done a fabulous job!! Gorgeous gorgeous work!

BTW, just wanted to let you know I'm having a little giveaway on my blog for the UK only...and I thought it might be up your street.

TTFN

Free Poker Money said...

She's looking for enough of us to make it into a fabulous northern hemisphere version of Sew It Together that our southern bloggy buddies enjoyed this year