Sunday, September 12, 2010

Strange

I have a secret. Something I've learned to keep to myself after years as a 'northerner' living down south.

Having been met with sheer amazement, nay abject horror, when mentioning this particular quirk of mine to the native southerners, I now keep my mouth well and truly shut when it comes to the mention of that very dirtiest of words......

.......autumn.

It's not so much the word itself that causes folk to step back in fear, more the statement that I happen to love this season more than any other.

How could I love the end of summer? The cooler days? The darker evenings? The damp mornings?

Well I do. I love all those things about autumn and more but by far my favourite things are these:

We reclaim our forest from the summer crowds.
We can take poor old Moog out for forest walks without her wilting in the heat.
We don't have to sit in queues of summer traffic for hours on end.
Foraging for freebies from Nature's larder.
The unique smell of the forest in autumn.



Today, Mr Moog was adamant that we should not waste a glorious autumn day at home, so off we headed to a very secret bit of the New Forest where we knew from past experience there were treasures to be found.

We came home laden with rosehips - now steeping in readiness to make rosehip syrup; sloes - a bit early but now in the freezer to immitate an early frost, ready for turning into sloe gin; and of course, blackberries - now bagged up into five generous portions and sitting in the freezer, ready for winter puddings.

Naturally, we had to test some of our harvest just to make sure.



Blackberry and apple crumble, made with homegrown dessert apples, and served with delicious Mackies vanilla ice cream ( BOGOF at the Co-op right now!).

So now, I'm going to say it. LOUD. AND. PROUD.....

I LOVE AUTUMN!!!

xxx

24 comments:

Julie said...

Yummy pudding! Sorry 'dessert' I was brung up proper I was! ;) I love the autumn too, not so much for the darker nights but definitely for the wonderful colours and mellow temperatures.

marit said...

I love autumn too! Cold , dark starry nights, a fire in the fireplace, a hot cup of tea, and knitting...perfect! The colours of the mountainside aren't bad either! I wish I could knit all those orangeyellowgreen shades into a giant blanket...

trash said...

As per my word verif. I love the 'flerv'our of Autumn. There is something about the way the light falls that makes it rather wonderful I think.

Starry said...

I love the autumn too. No hayfever, cool evenings and snuggling on the sofa.

Plus my anniversary and birthday are both in autumn.

PS Having a giveaway on my blog feel free to enter!

Locket Pocket said...

Even though my birthday is in September I still couldn't say that I love autumn. I think spring and early summer are my favourites - I just think I need the optimism of spring to keep me happy! I do like autumn too. Out of curiosity, what does Mr Moogs think? Is it a "virgo thing"???

Me xxx

P.S. Just made blackberry and apple jam from the lotamunt!

P.P.S How did word verification know we've just had "pasta" for tea???

P.P.P.S Off to my lovely local wool shop tomorrow so what thickness wool do I need for the Queen Anne's scarf?

French Knots said...

I love summer, not the actual summer we have but the summer of my imagination - warm, balmy days, sunny skies and sandy toes.
The rich jewel colours of autumn always inspire my knitting and who can resist a yummy crumble!x

Frogdancer said...

So do I.
Spring's not bad... but a bit too rainy.
Autumn's just perfect. When the 40 degree celcius days finally blur into heat that 's a bit more civilised, when the trees start showing their colours... just lovely.

The days are still long.... night alls around 7 (instead of 5 like in winter).... it's the best time of the year. Pity it has to turn into winter really. Yuck.

Jodie said...

Autumn is my favourite as well, actually I am also very fond of winter....

Quinn said...

I live in New England, where - unlike some parts of the US - we have four very distinct seasons. Most people I know claim Spring as their favorite, but Autumn has always been mine! :)

Jane said...

I love all our seasons for different reasons, but I don't like January and Feb too cold dark and dull after christmas. Loving your harvest, but how do you make Rosehip syrup?

wonderwoman said...

i love autumn and spring best!!! I love the crisp mornings and snuggling up by the fire on cold wet windy evenings! and best of all, no flies when we go riding!!!!

xx

Gina said...

Me too!!! (and I'm a southerner) I've also made apple and blackberry crumble this weekend. And I spied some fabulous looking rosehips yesterday so might have to give the rosehip syrup a try.

Ali said...

Rosehip syrup? Take photos so you can tell us how, Mrs Moog! I love Autumn when it's crisp and sunny. Endless grey, not so much.

dottycookie said...

I'm a softie southerner and I love autumn best too. We're getting our chimney swept this weekend ready for the best part of all - open fires!!

Thimbleanna said...

Yum -- that crumble looks delicious. I love autumn too -- that crispness in the air can't be beat. Happy Autumn!!!

monda-loves said...

There is a lot to like about autumn, I like it too.

I didn't know you were a northerner down south. I'm a bit of a hobo really, I've lived in a lot of places in the uk, but my heart is in the north - I'll move back up there one day I'm sure.

Monda
x

Munkeh said...

Autumn is when the wind picks up! I love the wind!!!

Twiggy said...

I love Autumn too, dark evenings, cosy blankets, chocolate, crisp walks in the woods - fab - is it a Northern thing :) Very scrummy post Mrs Moog.
Twiggy x

Andrea said...

I love autumn too, and have been busy making blackberry jam, rosehip syrup sounds good, must go and hunt up a recipe.

silverpebble said...

Hmm. I'm coming round to it, slowly.

silverpebble said...

Hmm. I'm coming round to it, slowly.

wv: brests

Keepapi Creative said...

I love Autumn when it really kicks off with the colours. But I do linger fingertip to summer so I can wander around in a sarong. I am a southerner though. Feel the cold something rotten!
The new forest does look wonderful doesn't it. I do love the harvest time.
btw I love your blog.
Jacs x

translation services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate North said...

It's my favourite, too - at least in principal. Some years here where it's all grey and drizzle it thrills me less, but those clear, crisp deep blue sky days with just a little nippy edge in the air - can't touch that...