Monday, November 30, 2009

H1N1 = K1P1

It would appear I may have succumbed to the dreaded pig flu. For much of the past week, myself and my Minx have spent our days sofa bound, coughing, aching and watching more kids' movies than I would care to admit. According to the NHS website our symptoms were fairly classic H1N1 but as neither of us saw a doctor, we've decided just to call it flu, as our symptoms were also fairly classic for just about any kind of winter flu.

Although I was too poorly to go to work, do any housework, or venture off the sofa for any length of time, I did manage to muster up the energy to get some knitting done. At least, after the first two days I did - before that my wrists ached too much to knit for longer than ten minutes at a time!

M-i-l's Christmas pressie was finished. A Fan Neckwarmer in yummy Sublime cashmere merino silk.


Next came one for me - a super simple and oh so cosy Baktus scarf in utterly delicious Malabrigo Silky Merino.


Shortly followed by another one for me - a simple chunky ribbed neckwarmer in squishy Misti Alpaca, edged in leftover Malabrigo.



Next on the needles - something far scratchier - simple stocking stitch socks (for me!) in very pretty Noro Kureyon. If this wool hadn't been so gorgeously colourful I would have given up. It's like knitting with rough garden twine and so hard on your hands.

I've christened them my Itchy and Scratchy socks!


To balance out the rough I opted to cast on an Ishbel scarf with the softest, gentlest and cuddliest Alpaca Select 4ply.



In the meantime, I've also been ribbing away on Minx's legwarmers - tedious but mindless knitting that needs to be done for Christmas.



...and if the K2P2 ribbing gets too tricky, I started on a bit of stocking stitch, in the form of some wristwarmers for Monster - also to be finished for Christmas.



With us both now on the mend and back at work and school, I anticipate the knitting slowing down a little. I have a whole load of work to catch up on, orders to sew and have to be very strong minded to resist the siren call of the knitting basket!


It's not going to be easy.
xxx


WHOOPS! I almost forgot to mention that my gorgeous baby boy had a birthday this month - hangs head in shame...

So here's a belated bloggy Happy Birthday to my lovely Monster - now a very grown up 10 year old!

22 comments:

JuliaB said...

Wow! All that knitting is GORGEOUS! Happy Birthday to Mr Monstor! x

Gina said...

Glad you're feeling better but what a pity the knitting will have to slow down... it's fab! Especially like M-i-L's scarf.
Happy Birthday Monster!

marit said...

Happy Birthday to Monster!

So glad you're feeling better. So far we've escaped both the piggy thing and the general flu, and the kids all got vaccines last week. But normally I get ill over Christmas, so it's stil a bit early...

You've done some great knitting there! Hopefully you'll get some time to knit in between sewing and stuff. Almost time for mincepies too, isn't it???

Have a great week:-)

maria said...

Beautiful knitting. I love the ide of neck warmers rather than a full scarf. I particularly like the fan one.

dottycookie said...

I tbhought you'd been quiet recently - sorry you've been ill :-(

Lovely knitting (you're making my elbow ache just looking at it) and a huge Happy Birthday to the Sausage Monster!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Monster! Glad you're on the mend now. I'm amazed at the amount of knitting you are able to churn out - it would probably take me all year to produce that much! I love that fan scarf! I was knitting a Baktus but actually gave up as I just got so bored with it! Oh dear, I'm such a lightweight!
R x

French Knots said...

What a wonderful selection of knitting, perhaps you could pretend to be ill this week too, leave the housework and knit away!
I've just printed off the instructions for the Baktus and am off upstairs for some needles.....!

Mama said...

Please take pride in assisting my Rav que to climb to the obnoxious total of 82! I LOVE that MIL Christmas scarf though and MUST knit it!

Glad you are feeling better - I am totally resisting pointing out that you and Locket BOTH have been ill son after the London trip. Also resisting inquiring as to what REALLY happened on that trip :)

wonderwoman said...

happy birthday to mr monster!!! what an amazing array of knitting! I love the baktus scarf and have been looking thro my yarns to give one a go!!! so glad you are on the mend!!

xxx

Lina said...

Glad you're over the worst. That's a whole lot of knitting in one post. And quite beautiful too!

Michaela said...

I love the fan neck warmer, think I need one of those. Baktus is my new best pattern - it's so cosy isn't it? I haven't done any socks for ages and am starting to get withdrawal symptoms. Think it's something to do with all those blankets I keep making.

I have decided that I want flu, so that I can catch up on a bit of knitting. Breathe some germs down my way will you please?

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Woman -- that a whole load of knitting -- beautiful knitting! I especially love the fan neck warmer -- it's gorgeous. Happy Belated Birthday to your little monster!

Angela said...

Your knitting is beautiful so neat.
I'm glad your feeling better.

Twiggy said...

Happy Birthday Mr Monster, we are under a cloud of lurgy here, will it ever go? who knows. Fab knitting missus.
twiggy x

. said...

I loved the title of this post! LOL.

Lovin' all the projects too - although I might have been forced to purchase the neckwarmer pattern. You're such a bad influence Mrs Moog! Glad you're feeling better.

Happy birthday to the Monster too.

xMx

silverpebble said...

Oh blimey - so sorry you've had a case of the swine. It sounds bl**dy awful.

The fluey knitting you did was wonderful though. Those are such lovely scarves!

HB to Monster - I love thst photo x

SEWButterfly said...

I know how you felt...my whole household suffered the pig flu, as well. And, you LITERALLY cannot move from sofa, bed or wherever you lay. I'm glad you're getting better and Happy Birthday to your grown-up 10-year old! Oh, BTW the knitting is beautiful!

Locket Pocket said...

What a totally fabulous blog title Missus Moog! Very funny - caused me a few sneaky sniggers at work today!

Great knitterage too!

Locketxxxx

Jennie said...

sorry you've been feeling so poorly glad you are picking up now. Love the knitting x

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow - what a productive time! Glad you are feeling better and that you're getting back to normal. If it is the dreaded pig flu at least you got it out of the way before Christmas.

Leanne said...

Good to hear the pigs didn't keep you down. As I have never knitted socks can I ask apart from your itchy scratchy ones are they comfortable to wear.

julie said...

hope you're feeling completely better now. What a lot you've got done though - a real knitfest, knitting is definitely the best medicine! Belated happy birthday to the monster x