Friday, September 18, 2009

Baby ripples and some ripping back

Is it me, or has this past week flown by?

The stitching that I did last Friday has been very well received. My s-i-l phoned me to say how thrilled she was with her new knitting bag :)

This week has been all about hooking and knitting. Last night, I finished the baby ripple blanket for Moogsdad's colleague's new, soon to be born, baby girl.



I'd have liked it to be a bit squarer but I ran out of yarn and as the baby is likely to be here before payday, I made a 'design decision' to have a slightly more rectangular blanket.



Although this is an acrylic yarn - Patons Smoothie - it has great stitch definition and a nice sheen. It's also beautifully soft and, most importantly, easy to wash!

I used Lucy's Neat Ripple pattern and it was just what I was looking for - lovely ripples and really quick!

Something that really pleases me about handicrafts of any sort is the tremendous scope for learning new skills. It seems no time since I thought I'd never be able to knit a sock and here I am 10 months and 11 and a half pairs later. I've taught myself to crochet and, to date, have crocheted 6 blankets, numerous cushions and several toys. I've learned how to insert a zip!

Most importantly of all, I've learned not to be scared. Not to listen to those little voices that say 'oooh no, that looks far too complicated...you'll never be able to do that'.

My greatest help during these moments of self-doubt has been the internet - from all your fabulous blogs, to sites such as Ravelry and YouTube. The endless inspiration and also evidence of 'normal' people just like me who can make these fantastically beautiful, scarily complicated, things gives me the nerve to just give it a go.

Over the past week I've lurked - for far longer than is healthy - on any website with even the tiniest smattering of Fair Isley type knitting. I've scoured every book and knitting magazine I own. I've bombarded my Knitting Guru with endless 'shall I/shan't I' emails.

It would seem I have a need for a new challenge - which is odd, as I always shied well away from anything involving multiple strands of potential knots in the past. It's very scary. There are tension issues. Don't even get me started on trying to follow charts.....

.....but I've dipped my foot in the water.....



.....and now I've plunged right in at the deep end.



With some beautiful Araucania sock wool.

To make the challenge even more 'fun' I'm even going to try knitting my first ever pair of mittens at the very same time - these ones for you Ravellers out there.

This little bit took just over an hour.....



.....and has since been ripped out as I was pulling the yarn far too tight.

I didn't even swear.

I just sighed, ripped and prepared myself for 'First Attempt at Mittens and Fair Isle MKII'

Watch this space!!

xxx

28 comments:

trash said...

oh Missus Moog, you talented and clever creature. I shall look forward to seeing more as those mittens grow.


Plus 11.5 pairs!!! I am in awe/

Unknown said...

Delish. The minute I saw the picture I knew you knew Lucy. I can spot her design and color palette a mile away. Isn't she just the greatest muse for us all. But we all seem to run out of yarn about the same time. I just posted mine over on my blog, check it out.

Amy said...

I love your outlook on trying new challenges...inspiring!

Gina said...

I am very very impressed with all this knitting and crochet... almost as impressed as with the s-i-l liking a homemade pressie. Or is it a different s-i-l?

Twiggy said...

Ooo just lovely, you are a very inspirational Moogsmum, I'm still scared of my crochet hook :)
twiggy x

dottycookie said...

Lots of lovelinees - but I somehow jumped in halfway down and thought the baby in question was yours!

JuliaB said...

Hi L! Lovely blanket! What a lucky baby!! I'm always scared of doing things .. blogging over the last couple of years has been amazing for me... definately improved my courage and skills. No end. xx

Daisie said...

I love the ripples (and who needs a square blanket anyhoo?)!! Makes me want to conquer my fear of the hook!
xxx

Julie said...

Well done on the Fair Isle and the lack of swearing! Your ripple blanket is beautiful and I'm sure colleague will be delighted!

It's amazing the journeys the internet takes us on, isn't it? I never dreamt I would have travelled so far along the textiles road when I started 2 years ago. It's great fun though and lots of new friends is an added bonus. Keep on learning!

French Knots said...

11.5 pairs - good grief that's amamzing. But who do you know with only 1 leg?!
I'm going to have a go at crochet this year, a baby blanket sounds like a good place to start, how many balls of each colour would I need do you think?
And Fair Isle, I'm in awe Mrs Moog!x

Misty said...

Congrats on trying a new challenge! The colors on your mittens are going to be so gorgeous together--they already look amazing in the cuff.

Jodie said...

OMG - That is amazing ....and scary, but what better place to learn, make mistakes and get advice than blogland...

Quinn said...

I love the "I didn't even swear"! It was a watershed moment for me when I discovered that I had somehow reached a point in my knitting journey where I could rip back inches/hours of knitting without more than a brief frown, and then go to knitting it up again the way I wanted it to be.

And you are MILES ahead of me, so I am enjoying seeing all your projects develop.

As for the pretty baby blanket, aren't babies sort of rectangular?? ;)

Ali said...

Fair Isle? Now I am in serious awe.

But mittens, I want to knit. Perhaps just plain ones.

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous, yarny post! How on earth did you manage to make 11.5 pairs of socks, along with all the other lovely stuff?! I think I've only managed about 6 or 7 pairs so far! And well done you for taking the plunge with the Fair Isle too!
R x

Locket Pocket said...

Love the rippling Missus! But scared silly by this weird fair isle nonsense!

Lucy x

Michaela said...

Am I really a knitting guru? Wow! That Fair Isle is gorgeous - you've made me want to do some now. As soon as thew mittens are finished, get yourself enough yarn for Tipsy - you won't be disappointed I promise!

Kate said...

Your ripple is beautiful. I only learnt to to crochet this year after starting my blog and learnt to knit about a month ago and now I can't stop. Before this I sewed but with all the beautiful inspiring projects out there what's a girl to do but play along too. I haven't attempted socks yet but I feel it's not too far away.

Angela said...

The baby blanket is lovely and is sure to become a favourite.
I'm envious of you been able to do Fair Isle knitting and socks at the same time.

julie said...

wow - the mittens are going to be gorgeous I love the colours you've chosen and the pattern is wonderful - will definitely be worth the ripping out! The blankie is beautiful too - again your colour choice is perfect, they're going to love it!

Kitty said...

I'm using Smoothie for the squares I'm knitting; I find it really simple to work with.

That ripple is gorgeous - as is the sewing in your last post, and the hat in the one before that!

x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

pick me off the floor...wow wee girl...

Thimbleanna said...

Ha! You know you've arrived as a knitter when you can rip knitting out and not throw a tantrum! Your ripple is adorable -- lucky little baby. And I can't wait to see your fair isle!!!

marit said...

Love the ripple! And those fair isle colours: Gorgeous!

monda-loves said...

loving the ripple mrs moog - lucky little baby!
I need to try a ripple so will give Lucy's pattern a go. Scary!

Monda
x

wonderwoman said...

wow!!! amazing handiwork - love the ripple blanket, its just gorgeous , as for fairisle, oh my, i dont think i'd dare attempt it!

xxx

Leanne said...

Very impressive ripple blanket. I am still amazed by the hanks of wool.

Attic24 said...

Your baby ripple looks absolutely beautiful, I'm sure it'll be loved and cherished...
xxxxxxxxxxxxx