Saturday, July 4, 2009

Saturday round up

Warning: this is a very mish mashy post!!


In readiness for all that summer reading - of which, more later - I've had a week of finishing off some works in progress.

First , some very bright rainbow socks for an upcoming birthday - knitted in Katia Mississippi cotton - lovely to knit with during the heatwave!




Next, another crochet cushion. I had a yearning to do a Granny flower square with some bargain Cygnet cotton that I picked up for £1.50 a ball at a local discount store.



I'm so happy with how cheerful and summery this cushion is and I like the back almost as much as the front.




Moving on, I had a day off on Friday. It's seemed like ages since I had a day at home all to myself. Although I should have been sewing for my Seaside Swap partner, and getting things made for some very outstanding PIFs, I just had to give in to a real need to make me a skirt.

I had a lovely big denim curtain -one of three curtains and numerous other things I scored in a recent Scrapstore visit - and was dying to make myself something with it.



A 38 pence zip, a little applique with some Fat Quarter swap fabric from Natasha. and some bias binding from the charity shop resulted in a lovely new skirt that cost me less than £1 :-)

Something very special happened last night.

Monster was out at his friend's house and we had Minx all to ourselves.

Without her brother around to argue with, she was at a bit of a loose end. I tentatively suggested she go and find her knitting.

I've tried several times before to teach her but it's always ended in frustration for both of us. Minx is a very capable little girl and just hates not being able to 'get it' first time round.

However, last night I only had to show her the first two stitches of the row and she had it. Yes, it's rather holey and at times a bit tangled but she sat happily for nearly an hour clicking away.

What thrilled me even more, was her sitting in her nightie this morning doing another two rows all on her own :)



She's a chip off the old block. With just a few minutes to go before Moogsdad took them both out, she just had to squeeze in another quick row!



While supervising Minx's knitting, I made this little chap from the wonderful pattern that Julie so kindly sent me yesterday. My very own Little Cotton Rabbits hodger :-)



Onto the garden news.

The harvest has started.



Better not eat it all at once ;-)

Now then, I just have to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your fantastic book recommendations!

I've spoiled myself a little at Amazon. I would have gone to a real bookshop but I stupidly got myself accidentally signed up to Amazon Prime earlier this year and have to order from them to get my money's worth!

Still, I ordered these on Wednesday night and they got here on Thursday morning, which can't be bad.



Minx and I had a happy half hour at the library last night and I scored some of your reads plus one or two extras. The top one is a Persephone book and I had to take it out just because I was amazed that our little library even had it!!



Whilst taking those photos, I happened to notice Moogsdad's summer reading selection and thought I'd share it with you......


.....any phsychologists out there? Just what would you make of this little lot?

Phew! If you made it to the end - congratulations!!!


I should be back tomorrow, as I'm going somewhere very exciting with fellow bloggers :-)

xxxx

13 comments:

Quinn said...

Your harvest made me smile. Would you care to see the bean I grew last year?

Have fun at the special crafty event!

Julie said...

I think I prefer your reading choices to Moogsdad's, no offence ;o) Like the skirt too, looks a good way to cheer up an old skirt too. Well done Minx for getting to grips with the knitting.

Ali said...

Hee hee - boy books! In the shop we have something referred to as the 'bloke table' - your hubby'd be right at home!

Happy Handmade tomorrow - I was going to try and make it down, but it's not going to happen. Will you be wearing your new and very Boden-esque skirt?

Locket Pocket said...

Wow! That skirt looks fab! But why can't we have a better photo of it Mrs Arty-Farty-Picture-Taker?

I'm soooooooooooooo not speaking to you now that I've realised that you are not only meeting up with some lovely peeps tomorrow but are also going to Handmade Winchester and I'M NOT GOING TO BE THERE TOO!!!!!

PAH!

Locket (x) (you only get one x today cos I'm sulking!)

trash said...

Wear it tomorrow and I shall take a proper picture of it just so we can shut Locket up!

Loving your harvest. I was toying with the idea of an early reaping in the front section of teh lower 40 but as I seem to be farming on some sort of co-operative or kibbutz it shall have to go to discussion!

Jodie said...

I love the cushion back ! I am not a knitter but recently (last night) I did start a wee bit and I so understand that one more row, one more row business....

Gina said...

Some fabulous makes and I especially liked the pics of Minx knitting. What a clever girl! Some excellent book choices (from you, not Moogsdad!)

dottycookie said...

Oooh to the books and OOOOH to the impending trip!

Mr DC wouold probably like Moogsdad's pile o' literature. *I* like the knitting action and the skirt - gorgeous.

Leanne said...

I hate to say it but I love the back of your cushion. I love the colours. Your husband likes the Dragon's Den. It is on fox here and Tony never misses it. Not sure if that harvest will make sauce.

French Knots said...

Great book choices - yours I mean! Though how to deal with people you can't stand might have some useful info :)
Great skirt and yes we need a better picture to fully appreciate your talents!

est said...

the cushion is so pretty! n what lovely goodies you've got! :)

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- I'd say Moogsdad works in a typical office. I need that Dealing With People You Can't Stand! You've been a busy girl -- great projects!!!

Lisa said...

You have some great reading ahead of you, good choices!

Love the harvest, we just noticed a couple small green tomatoes on our plants last night so I can feel your excitement.