Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We ran away

While Moogy had a nice long weekend of peace and quiet with our lovely neighbours, Moogsdad, Monster, Minx and I ran away to this little haven of tranquility.



This was the perfect way to celebrate our anniversary - even with the children there ;-)


You can never be sure what you're going to get when you try somewhere new but this little National Trust cottage was wonderful. Everything about it was gorgeous.


I knew I was going to love it here when I walked into the kitchen and saw a huge old dresser laden with Cath Kidston china.


Moogsdad knew he was going to love it when he walked into the lounge and saw a wood burning stove - and spent a whole weekend indulging his caveman instinct to make fire :-)




Upstairs, the floors were so wonderfully wonky - you had to walk up a slope to the children's room, uphill to the loo and downhill to wash your hands!


We left the car at the cottage for the whole weekend and walked everywhere. There was a fab farm shop just up the road and the beautiful little market town of Wimborne just a mile away. We overlooked the river and saw deer, fox, pheasants and bunnies.


As if that wasn't perfect enough - I was even allowed to knit socks!!


One pair finished for Minx - only one here as the other was already on her foot :-)




...and a pair half done for Monster.


We're all feeling relaxed and restored. In fact, so relaxed that we didn't want to go back to school/work today.


At least I have this to look forward to


- two potential pairs of socks for ME!


So, although I still have a huge stinky report to do for work and other stressy nonsense going on, I'm feeling as if it's less of a mountain to climb now - and Moogsdad and I are already planning our next National Trust cottage holiday.


In other news, you all know me far too well!! You all spotted the odd one out in my last blog post. It's true - I do not, in fact, love housework or ironing - at all!!
Twenty six of you commented and thanks to this litte random number generator...



the winner is......Maria!!! As promised Maria, something from my stash will be on it's way to you very soon!

I'll be back very soon to introduce you to someone who's been dying to meet you all :-)
xxxx

17 comments:

Louise said...

Lovely photos. I didn't know you could stay in a National Trust cottage, no wonder you enjoyed yourselves on your anniversary! I would love to do this very thing myself. A few years back we had an enjoyable weekend break in Wimborne, I've taken a note of the farmshop for when we are next down that way. Isn't it a shame we have to get back to real life! x

dottycookie said...

Argh, that's two people in two days who escaped to gorgeous cottages last weekend. Envious, Me? Never!

It sounds as if you had a lovely anniversary - congrats. I think the children add a certain extra dimension to anniversary celebrations ;-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks lovely!! What a great get-away.

Ali said...

Looks like a great weekend - I'm in love with your rainbow sock yarn!

Rachel said...

Happy anniversary! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Those new sock yarns look fabulous!

Locket Pocket said...

I'm sooo jealous! The cottage looks and sounds gorgeous! AND you got to knit too! You can tell Minx that Daisy has some socks in very similar wool - maybe even exactly the same - thanks to Granny Dog - I'm still knitting odd pairs!

Locket xxxx

Tacha said...

Happy Anniversary. Looks like you had a wonderful time. I am very jealous!

I have to admit that I thought there was something a little fishy about liking housework!

Thimbleanna said...

Dang It! I thought for sure maybe you'd like housework just a teeny bit -- it was just too obvious to pick it! That cottage looks like heaven -- thanks for the link -- I'm off to check it out!

Emma Loves Stitching said...

Ha ha, i'm not the only one then with a hubby that likes to create fire-was beginning to think i'd have to get him sectioned!!!

Lovely holiday picks, love national trust cottages, spent a fab hen weekend last year in one-so beautiful and quaint-loved everything about it!!

Emma:)

Kitty said...

So glad you had a good time - the cottage looks beautiful. Sometimes I think a short break (or maybe two or three of them) does more good than a week or more-long one which results in piles of washing and ironing ... even though we all know you love doing washing and ironing ;-)

Hope the stresses get less stressy. (((hugs)))

x

wonderwoman said...

yay! i won - what a lovely surprise - thank you soo much. your cottage looks ab fab so i may have to chat you up about details when we next meet!!!
such lovely socks - i love the idea of knitting odd ones as i'm always in odd socks.

xxx

Julie said...

What a gorgeous cottage - I'm glad you had a great weekend. Beautiful sox too!

Congrats to Maria for being the lucky random winner!

Calidore said...

Wow love the cottage I don't blame you for wanting to have more holidays like that one. Simply stunning. Love the socks too - so bright and colourful.

Lina said...

How lovely. Happy Anniversary! It's pictures like this that make me long for the ol' Blighty. And I'm loving the sock knitting/anniversary celebrating combo! Sounds like heaven!

est said...

what a lovely break time! and happy anniversary to you! :)

Anonymous said...

A pink cottage! LOVE IT!
It was great to hear about such a weekend from somebody who loves the River Cottage way of life. I love it too!

Cherry x

marit said...

Lovely cottage! Sounds like the perfect weekend!