Sunday, September 21, 2008

Miscellaneous doings

As promised, we did some papermaking.

Using the leftover paper pulp from Thursday's school session, we took ourselves outside and got busy.


1. First prepare your pulp. Soak ripped up newspaper for at least 24 hours in a bucket of water, then blitz it with an electric hand blender (this will ruin your blender BTW!). 2. Take your papermaking frame (cobbled together from a couple of cheapo Ikea frames and some spare netting). 3. Dip the frame down into a bowl of paper pulp and give it a wiggle. 4. Lift out and remove spare pulp from around the frame. 5. Quickly tip the frame over onto a J-cloth on a tray. 6. Using a piece of board press down firmly on the frame to squeeze out the water. 7. Lay your paper out to dry .8. You will have far more paper pulp than you ever thought possible so strain the rest through a teatowel and squeeze out all the water 9. Make yourself some models with the rest - these should take about 15 years to dry!!



Now for some 'normal' stuff.

The Raiders' of the Box parcel arrived in Moogshouse this week - I was sooo excited!! The box is starting to look very well travelled :)

I did some choosing and spent ages agonising over what to take out and what to put in!

Trashy, I took the butter muslin! What was the question?

Postie also delivered this gorgeous Little Girl from Jodie. Isn't she lovely?

She's my next sewing project, once I've sent Michaela's blanket on it's way :)

Thank you so much Jodie - I love her and can't wait to see what she says!

Moving on to the weather now.

Did you imagine for a moment there that autumn had arrived?

Yup, me too!


Apparently not.

This weekend has been one of the sunniest and warmest this year.

To celebrate, we have all ventured out into the garden.


Some of us even managed a spot of sunbathing!



Now then folks. Y'know that sometimes even the best ideas have their issues?

Well here's a thing.....I don't like to think of myself as a quitter. I do tend to get very excited about things and get maybe a little too obsessed...and then burn out.

.....(embarrassed cough)......I've decided to draw the Geek League to a close sooner than initially planned. Mainly 'cos I want to get back to my normal bloggy wittering and maybe do some sewing rather than spend hours on the 'puter looking for geeky stuff. I'm also waaaay behind on reading all your lovely blogs.

Therefore, the League will conclude on 30th September rather than 31st October. Yippeee!!!

That way we can all get back to 'normal' and leave the geekery to others.........like him:


Note : I have not mentioned anything about the Geek League to Monster. I was therefore very surprised when he brought these toy glasses downstairs yesterday and commenced to wrap them with Sellotape.
I asked him what he was doing.
'Making myself some Geek glasses, Mum!'

Don't know where he gets it from!!!!

xxxx

15 comments:

Kitty said...

Oooh, so much 'stuff' in this one post! Fabulous paper-making - looks jolly messy, which my smalls would love.

I sniggered at that chicken - it looks like it just keeled over! :-O

The box swap box! How exciting ... I'm hoping it heads my way soon, can't wait to see what's in it. I have my bits to put inside, all ready and waiting.

And I'm loving Monster's geeky specs - he obviously gets that from his father ;-) xx

Locket Pocket said...

I think an earlier deadline is a very good idea - the strain of confessing what a geeky twit I am on a regular basis was getting a bit much!

Your paper looks lovely, if, erm, how do I put it, ahem, rather grey!

Love your chickens - why couldn't we have had the sunshine in the holidays though?

And Geek-Boy is fab!

Locket xxx

wonderwoman said...

glad you got the box swap ok! the box has definiely seen better days! thank goodness for an earlier deadline to the geek league- i am definitely geekier than i thought!!!

xx

trash said...

You pushed that chicken, didn't you?

Jane said...

Paper making looks seriously messy but clever. Loving the sun shine. Jane x

Gina said...

Lots of great stuff here but the chicken sunbathing and geeky monster are just the best!

JuliaB said...

ooh hasn't it been WONDERFUL! we even had a picknic today!! the first one all year!!! Don;t chickens look peculiar when they sunbathe! x

dottycookie said...

What have you done to that chicken, madam? Shocking!

And only a week to tell you about our geeky life? I supose that means I actually to have to write something ... oh, wait, isn't that what I'm meant to have been doing anyway?! News of the LHC's illness has slowed me down a bit ;-)

Jodie said...

he he he ...drunk sunbathing chicken

Kaz said...

Loving the sunbathing chicken!!

artisbliss said...

Your papermaking looks like fun. I used to do a bit of that myself.

Lovely chicken photos. And Monster is an adorable geek.

Thimbleanna said...

That little Moog is pretty darn funny. As is that sunbathing chicken!

And nooooo! It's not supposed to be nice and sunny there. We want RAIN ALL MONTH LONG LOL!!!! You're going to use up all your sun!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, paper making looks like so much ... mess! I hope you'll still be blogging in 15 years to show off the results!

I love the sunbathing birdie beauty and your son's brilliant Austin Powers impersonation .... yeah baby, yeah!!

:)

Twiggy said...

ha ha love the conked out chicken!
monsters specs are just like mine but I have a plaster rather than sellotape holding mine together in the style of Jack Duckworth :)
Twiggy x

Bethany said...

It's been a long time since I've made paper! The very first time was a little circle piece we made in fourth grade and I still have it!!! I've made it with pressed flowers in the pulp and grass. It's fun!

Your chickens are so beautiful! I was afraid you were going to say you were done with them...phew! Good thing they aren't "geeky"!!! I don't blame you one bit... who can keep up anymore?
That Raiders box is really cool too... though I got lost in all this wonderful stuff you were showing us!