Saturday, September 27, 2008

The chicken has landed

When a box like this lands on your doorstep ...

....with a letter like this from the overwhelmingly brilliant Charlie P....


...you just know it's something very special indeed :-)

I would like to introduce you to the latest addition to the chicken run - Miss Gloria Hennypenny. So called because Gloria was my first choice for a chicken name way back here but when our girls arrived my chicken was most definately a Beryl.

My first task was, of course, to introduce Gloria to the inmates of Moogstowers.

Moog studiously ignored her in the hope she'd go away ....

....mmm, how would the other chickens react?

....can we eat it? wot is it? can we eat it? is it a worm? can we eat it?....bit pecky...

...she tried out the accomodation.....not too comfy...

....and sampled the menu....bit bland...


....and was told what was expected of our fowl friends....one a day please...


....oh dear!! All too much for a chicken made of crochet :-(

Fortunately Gloria soon picked up when she saw the alternative menu...

....and realised she had a good deal in common with Freda Feltchicken - except Gloria is the more advanced spun wool version :)

To say I was excited when I managed to bag one of Charlie's beautiful creations is a major understatement! Thank you so much Charlie - Gloria has made one whizzened old blogger very happy indeed xxxx

Before, I head off to make the house 'in-law visit' spotless, here's a bit of sewing news.

Two more pairs of 'lounge pants' for me

and two for my baby girl who, as I type, is waking up at Brownie camp 13 miles away.
She's out on loan to Brownies for the weekend. Her first ever time away without parents or grandparents.

Did she seem bothered when we dropped her off last night?

Nope. Not even a little bit :-)

At least with her new pj's she'll have something to read when she wakes up...



Have a great weekend xxxx

26 comments:

Daisie said...

Gloria is so wonderful, love her!!
The sheep pants are fab too, I want some!
Have a lovely daughter free weekend, is that possible?!
XXX

Locket Pocket said...

GLORIOUS Gloria photos! Especially love the one with the egg! And the one on the perch, and the one eating corn, and the one with the red wine and chocolate - so good for headaches(!) and - well all of them really!

And superbly great trousers! I think you should make yourself some of the sheep ones for London - they are fab!

In fact they are "baaaaaa-rmy"!!!!

Hope you appreciate all my lovely puns!

Locket xxx

Jodie said...

You lucky duck...err chicken.

I don't mind the look of that alternative menu either just quietly.

Gina said...

Gloria is most gorgeous! I like her alternative menu. Thos e lounge pants are fabulous. I've got to make some!

rachelmp said...

Oh, lucky you! Gloria is lovely

Quinn said...

I love your little Alternate Flock :)

Is that barley you are feeding your hens? Always interesting to see what other "farmers" are doing!

Dominique said...

That was a really funny post :-)

dottycookie said...

Lovely Gloria! And more lovely trousers too. The sheep are particularly fab.

trash said...

Can't think. Witty has gone away for today so shall just 'Ooo! Loverly.'

wonderwoman said...

Gloria is lovely - i expect she's very glad she does not have to lay eggs - especially that size - might make her eyes water!! just love the pants - especially the sheep ones - gorgeous.
have great weekened.

xxx

Julie said...

Gloria has obviously made herself at home already. I'm not surprised with the alternative menu!

You have obviously done a wonderful job of raising a confident adventurous daughter who is happy to go away for a few days adventure. Well done you!

Kaz said...

Gloria is gorgeous and I'm glad you're not expecting her to pass something the same size as her every day! Poor chook!!

Loving the pants.

monda-loves said...

Lounge pants are really just an excuse to wear pyjamas in the day time - I salute you for this. Bring on the lounge pants one and all.

If I could wear pyjamas 24 hours a day and get away with it then i definitely would.

I love your new chicken. She looks like she if fitting in very well.

Monda
x

Lindsey said...

Yay! As a co-member of the 'Recent Pigeon Loft Offering Club', I must say I'm loving Gloria. I receieved Mr P 040 from the same 'release' and our blogs look almost identical - opening the box, peeling back the tissue, meeting the other inmates... ha ha ha
DOn't know how I've missed you 'til now. I love the lounging pants and PJs. And the Tyrrell Katz sheepy fabric (it is TK isn't it?) is great.

Twiggy said...

Gloria is gorgeous, love her little photo story espesh her reaction to the egg :) Lounge pants are great, I really must make some as I DO like to lounge on these dark evenings. Love the sheep fabric, I've got the Tyrrell Katz doggy PJs which I love! There so huge, I even wore them when I was pregnant!!!
Twiggy x

Twiggy said...

obviously that should read they're rather than there - ahem....
Twigs x

Thimbleanna said...

Oh. How. Cute!!! Your Gloria photos are fantastic, not to mention your adorable story!!! What a clever girl you are. I LOVE the lounge pants -- expecially that CUTE sheepy print -- tell Ms. Moog I'm terribly jealous. I certainly hope she's a knitter (or soon to be!)

I couldn't comment on your last post. You left me speechless with that bit about offal LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Miss HP 010, aka Gloria is fabulous! It looks like she's made herself right at home too. .... shall we see her sporting a rather fetching pair of lounge pants anytime soon??

:)

ps. Book ordered; duvet cover purchased; THIS spring chicken will be soon, hopefully!

est said...

it's so cute!!!

Bethany said...

What a big girl!!! It was slightly tense around here the first time Caroline went overnight camping with the Girl Scouts! She didn't have cool pj bottoms to wear though! I love them and I love your fabrics! And your new chicken!!! COOL! This is why I'm trying to learn to crochet, so I can make cool things like that for my kids!!! That chocolate and wine look pretty good too!!

Kitty said...

Gloria is FAB!!! Crikey, how does one get hold of one of these birds of crochet? I want one!

Those lounge pants are wonderful - you're going to have to do such a lot of lounging to get the best out of them. Shame, eh? ;-) x

tintocktap said...

Welcome Gloria - she looks like she's settling in well, but are you sure she's not jealous of all these lounge pants? Maybe she's pining for a pair of her own?

Hope your daughter had a wonderful parent-free weekend!

Oh, and please please can I have some geeky points for my blog? And I'm planning a little more geekiness for tomorrow, poorly baby permitting.

Charlie P said...

Hello Gloria! Aww, it's lovely to see her settling in and getting to know the other residents of Moogstowers. I'm not surprised she turned her beak up at the seed when you see what else was on offer :)
I hope Minx is having a grand time at Brownie camp- bet you're not looking forward to the MASSIVE pile of wood-smoke-smelling/mud-stained laundry when she returns!

Leanne said...

Gloria is very cute...I'm feeling sorry for Moog he is looking a little upset at another animal joining the gang. Love the pants.

Unknown said...

LOL! I bloghopped over here from Thimbleanna's "Jumping Bunnies" post. What a hoot! Both your chicken story and her bunny story!

Annalea said...

Awk! Miss Gloria Henny Penny looks just like the chickens from Wallace and Grommit. She's great! (I came over from Thimbleanna's blog . . . so much fun. :o)