Friday, October 10, 2014

All change

Well, it's been a funny few weeks here. I left my old job on 12th September and a week later started my new one.

I lasted four days.


It became apparent to me almost immediately that I was not going to be right for the job. It was not going to be the job I thought it was and so, after getting incredibly stressed out and having a bit of a meltdown, I told them I couldn't do it. That was the hardest thing to do.

























I felt completely awful and like a total let down and a fraud. I tried so hard to convince myself to keep going and hope it would get better but my gut instinct said otherwise. I had to listen to my instincts as otherwise I was going to make myself ill.

And so it is that I am now without work and more scarily without a salary but somehow I feel more relaxed and happier than I have for years. Mr Moog has been incredible, a real tower of strength. He knows I haven't been coping for a while and saw how anxious I got with the new job. So, we've decided I'll take a bit of a break, get my ducks back in a row and then see what happens.

In my heart, I know that I want to work for myself and get my business going. I've been making steps in the right direction.


























I've been making these little wash-bags for an order for Enchanted Plants and have an order for a big batch of lavender sachets. 

I've also put together some proposals for a series of workshops that I hope to start running after Christmas.

I have a list as long as my arm of projects to make, with a view to dusting off the shelves in my Etsy shop and maybe even opening up a Folksy store. My mind is buzzing with creative plans and ideas and it feels so good!

It feels like I've got me back again!

























I've been enjoying spending time on Instagram and getting back in touch with the big wide craft world out there. Mr Moog was worried I'd be bored or lose my confidence being at home, just me and my Moogs but every day simply flies by and the interaction with friends via text and Instagram mean I'm never lonely.

So, for now I'm going to see how it goes, make a real effort to get my business going and give myself a chance to breath and get over the stresses of September.

This blog post has taken forever to write, especially as I know many of you already know about the work thing from Facebook and IG but I wanted to write it. It's part of the process of drawing a line under recent events and looking forward to a future full of possibility.

Hugs and huge thanks to all of you dear friends who've been so kind and supportive.

Onwards and upwards!

love Moogs xx



17 comments:

Leanne said...

It was the right decision. Those purses are fantastic, I do love how a wobbly dog ended up in the bag mosaic. Like you said onwards and upward is the way to go.

Leanne said...

Ooops forgot to say I LOVE that second snap.

Breathing Life said...

sounds like you are on the right track and good for you for listening to your inner voice. I love the little wash-bags, and all your moogs!
It is gonna be fine. You will be great.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh that suck when you start a job and know in your heart it isn't right. If it makes you feel any better I quit a job after 30 minutes...so you are in good company!!

Locket Pocket said...

Gut instincts are there for a reason! You did the right thing x
You're crafting business now has the chance to really take off in a way that it never could when you still had the pressures of work.
I can't wait to see and hear how it goes and will always be around for as much support as you could want! You know I'm your biggest fan! Xx

Locket Pocket said...

Oops! Can't believe I wrote you're instead of your! My mother would be horrified! ;)

Quinn said...

Well, as a person who doesn't do FB or IG...I am very glad you decided to blog about your exciting new adventure! Congrats to you and kudos to Mr Moog for his supportive attitude! And I have always loved your bags...you probably don't recall, but I contacted you once years ago to see if I could buy one, but at that point you had stopped making them. Now I'll be watching this space :)

Rachel said...

Sorry to hear about the job. I've been in that situation too and it sucked (I think I also lasted 4 days!) but leaving was absolutely the best thing to do. Good luck with your new crafty business though, those pouches look fabulous! Xx

trash said...

Quinn! You have to come play on IG, it is the bomb!

Was told about the lavender sachets with great big smiles. Happy, happy soapmaker.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh wow -- so sorry to hear that the new job didn't work out. On the other hand -- how lucky to be at home and be doing the things you love. The nine patch was a great choice -- it looks wonderful. And your little bags are adorable!

Plum Cox said...

Well done for quitting the new job before it made you ill. Its ever so hard to do (I had to do something similar once - still remember how awful it felt!).
Hope that it really is just a memory that will fade away without scars.
Your purses are amazing! I so hope that you get your business running - it really does sound as though that's where your life is taking you, which is amazing!
Well done to Mr M. too for understanding what you need. Sounds like he's a keeper!

Gina said...

Good for you. It can be really difficult and brave to admit when things aren't working. I love your embroidery on those wash bags!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! And good luck :-)

A few years ago I wrote a letter to an old friend, telling her about the kids, the farm, the husband, the life around me...-and she answered with a question: "Where is Marit? Have you lost her?", and that was just the problem- I had disappeared. Happy to say I hve finally found myself again- and it feels GREAT! It involved a divorce, a move from the westcoat to the south of the country, and a completely new job (in a yarnstore-it's like heaven!!!). I'm so happy for you-it might be scary, but I'm sure you will be figuring everything out. Take care :-)

Hugs, Marit (who used to blog as "on the needles"...)

Twiggy said...

Good on ya Mrs Moog gut instincts are always right. I love your washbags, send me a friend request on Facebook will you, there is a link on my last blog post
Twiggy xx

Pennie said...

Good for you! I did something similar recently, and left a job that had been making me miserable for 2 years. I am getting slightly worried about where the next pay packet will come from, but for the first time in 2 years, I don't have a tightly clenched jaw and I am waking up without all ever pervading headaches I had been having every day. Sometimes, you just need a break, change of direction and time to reprogram your brain to 'happy'. Good luck with the business, I love the bird badges and came looking for a link to your Etsy shop to see if they were for sale!

julie said...

Well done you for listening to that little voice inside and following its very wise (though scary) advice to quit the job. Best wishes for the new enterprise and a happier more fulfilled you xxxxxx

Karen said...

Congratulations on your new opportunities!! It sounds like things worked out the way they were meant to.