Sunday, April 18, 2010

This and that

I'm not being terribly imaginative in terms of themes for my blog just lately. So, rather than procrastinate further whilst waiting for inspiration to strike, I may as well just get on with it.

There's been knitting - of course. Lovely knitting if I do say so myself. Beautiful yarn combined with a pattern I now love (after hating it at the first attempt) has led to these delicious socks - my Polly Jeans:



I also finished off some very simple stocking stitch socks and am now onto the foot of some rather gorgeous Waving Lace socks. My sock drawer is beginning to look decidedly healthy!

Some knitters, when faced with a drawer full of handmade socks, might be tempted to start passing on the product of their labours to family and friends. I'm a very selfish knitter, however, and like to keep them all for myself!!

I can always buy new furniture with bigger sock drawers :o)

Other than knitting, the Easter holiday has included visits to family, my baby daughter's big 9th Birthday and several days of me being stuck in bed with a yucky sickness bug (this included Minx's birthday :o( ). We've enjoyed a glorious day at the park with friends, a long and lazy slouching about kind of a day - or two - and a couple of special days out.

Special day out no.1 was spent with my lovely chum Trashy and her gorgeous children. We met up at a weird 'Sculpture Park' up near Salisbury - weird because no-one else seemed to be there, picknicking and photography were definitely not allowed and it was entirely unclear as to where we could or could not walk. Coupled with having to enter the place through a set of electric gates, it was all very mysterious!





We picknicked out of the boot of the car - as is our style :o)



Then we fled the park in favour of a leisurely wander around nearby Stockbridge - where it was much more obvious where we could walk and had both public toilets and locally made ice-cream!



Special day no.2 was yesterday and Minx's belated birthday treat. A day out at Legoland Windsor. We queued lots. We managed a few rides. We walked lots. We queued some more. All courtesy of Tesco clubcard points :o)

The highlight for me was without doubt the fantastic Lego models throughout the park. I love Miniland - with it's amazingly detailed models of London, Amsterdam, Sweden, Italy, the Netherlands, Brussels, Paris and Denmark, not to mention the space shuttle launch pad, Edinburgh and Caerphilly castles and an Abba concert in full swing!!



Monster's overriding ambition is to become a Lego designer when he grows up and a peep through the glass doors into the model makers' workshop only served to strengthen this ambition. He has spent all day today up to his ears in Lego :o)

I''ve spent my day up to my ears in housework and ironing. Is it just me or does the whole house descend into utter chaos when the children are off school?

Tomorrow it's all back to normal. Shoes are polished. The car is loaded ready for work. School dinner notes are done.

I'm now going to round my holiday off with a few more rows of knitting.

xxx

16 comments:

trash said...

the boot picnic was triffic fun despite the weird surroundings.

Glad you had a fabulous day yesterday. TG everyone's teeth stayed intact ;-)

(whispering) we still have one day left of holidays.

Gina said...

I have Polly Jean envy!!!

Karen said...

I've done those socks as well, they are gorgeous! But, I made mine too big, with too large dpn's, so had to give them to my daughter, bah!

Julie said...

Gorgeous sox! Glad you had happy holidays (apart from the buggy thing!). Lego designer sounds the perfect job. Happy Birthday to Minx! Double figures next year ;o)

Locket Pocket said...

Oh My Lordy Lummox! Moogsmum's BLOGGED!!!!!

Fan-flipping-tastic!

Better go and read it now!

Locket xx

;o)

Locket Pocket said...

Legoland sounds like the perfect end to a fun-filled holiday (except for the puking of course!)

But I still think those Polly Jeans have a silly-charty pattern! Why couldn't they be written in simple WORDS???

Me x

Kitty said...

Gorgeous socks, Mrs Moog - just gorgeous. My house descends into chaos during school holidays too - weird, innit? Oh and one of mine isn't back to school tomorrow on account of so many teachers being stranded abroad courtesy of the Icelandic Volcano dust! x

dottycookie said...

I still haven't got anywhere with PollyJean. I think I'm going to have to do something easier - I have too many things I want to make and not enough time to start them all!

We're off till tomorrow and the house looks like a volcano's erupted in it. Likely to stay that way today ...

dottycookie said...

PS sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope all bugs are now behind you!

French Knots said...

You are a super fast sock knitter! How many pairs do you have now?
Hope you are healthy again, how unfair to be ill in the holidays.xx

wonderwoman said...

amazing socks Mrs Moog!!! I have huge admiration and quite a bit of envy for your drawers of handmade socks!

xxx

Michaela said...

Love your Polly Jeans and I so agree with you about keeping all hand-knitted socks to yourself. Mine, all mine! Very few people would appreciate how much time and effort goes into them, not to mention the cost of the yarn!

Thimbleanna said...

Ah, you're a woman after my own heart! I hoard my socks too. Part of the problem is that I don't want to be "that" woman who foists her handmade items off as gifts -- what if they don't like them?

Looks like you've had a fab holiday -- Legoland looks really fun. And I laughed at your picnic in the car boot!

stitchin' girl said...

Those are very lovely socks! It looks like you have a very nice day.

silverpebble said...

More booty noshing between you and Trash. Perhaps you could start a thing - a boot picnic thing - what's in yours today?

Those socks are bloomin lovely.

I do hope all is well in the land of Moog.

silverpebble said...

Oh, the pukeage sucks - glad it's gone xxx