Thursday, April 29, 2010

Es Ee Ex

There's been major S.E.X. happening round here this month. Maybe there's something in the air, what with it being spring and all.

I actually blame Mrs Stashbasket for suggesting a sock-a-month challenge.

Once the challenge was underway I soon realised my stash needed a little bulking up.

Luckily, thanks to birthday money and payday I have been on a very exciting Stash Enhancement eXpedition. I've explored online yarn stores, real-life yarn stores and have even kept my personal shopper busy and now my sock stash is looking incredibly lovely.....if a little greedy!



Of course, as well as all that S.E.X. there's also been plenty of knitting.

I managed to finish these lovely lacy socks that I cast on way back in January. I knitted the cuff of one sock between January and April and then got stuck in and did the rest in just over a week.
The pattern is Waving Lace from this book.



A recent appointment for work led me so close to a fabulous local yarn shop that is was rude not to pop in. I came back out with three balls of very pretty pastel yarn (plus one or two other things) that was perfect for a Baktus scarf for the naughty Minx.




Not wishing to leave Monster out of the knitted goodies I've got another pair of mindless stocking stitch socks on the go - using my new square dpns. These needles are fab - a bit metallic smelling at first but the squareness of them is incredibly comfortable to knit with and doesn't leave my hands cramped up.




Now, it's onto the real goodness. Some idiot managed to find a lovely looking pattern on Ravelry for The Stashbasket/Moogsmum sock-a-month challenge that was deemed to be just perfect for May.

That idiot would be me.

Mrs Stashbasket, as is her enviable style, got stuck straight into these babies and has already turned the heel on her first sock and is now well on the way to casting on sock 2.......and May isn't even here yet!!

Once I realised this I had to cast on too. Five times, as it turned out!

Don't be fooled - this sock is not as sweet and innocent as it looks. It messed with my brain so very much that I may have sworn a little tiny bit. I may even have felt very slightly close to tears. I endured a most stressful evening of knitting this blessed thing, only to find I'd suddenly found an extra six stitches from somewhere.

As we all know, knitting is a most relaxing hobby .....when it goes right!

It would seem it may be fifth time lucky and I'm very slightly nearly almost just about possibly starting to enjoy them.



Happy knitting........ahem.......

xxx

13 comments:

trash said...

Nothing like Spring to put a step into a girl's S.E.X. life.

Thimbleanna said...

Well, if you're going to have S.E.X., this is definitely the way to go! Great socks Mrs. -- Love the colors in that last one especially!

Anonymous said...

Spring and S.E.X. - the perfect combo. That pastel yarn is too delicious - I think I need some S.E.X. too.

Sian said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a year and just had to comment today. I now live in Michigan but the local yarn shop you visited is just down the road from Liphook, the village where I grew up! And it stocks uniforms for Bohunt, my old school. Thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

wonderwoman said...

i knew you girls were up to something with all that sock knitting!!!!

Gina said...

For a while I was tempted to join in with the pair of socks a month challenge (the promise of S.E.X. you know) but after reading this I've changed my mind. It sounds far too stressful.

dottycookie said...

Oooh, I'm liking the macchias, but then I'm cheating and not doing the colour changes :-)

Rachel said...

Ooh, square dnp's! Where did you find those? Fab knitting - I'm still sticking to my mindless stocking stitch socks and it seems to be taking me about a month to do just one sock at the moment, so I'd be hopeless at the challenge!
R x

French Knots said...

I have a baktus on my to do list and could do with some S.E.X too, and square dpns sound great.
Keep knitting Mrs M!xx

silverpebble said...

That's some saucy knitting Mrs M. Sorry to be so rubbish getting back to you. All is well, just HECTIC!!! Much love Exxx

Kitty said...

You are so going to get some 'interesting' hits on your blog with that title and content :p Seriously loving those last socks even if they are driving you nuts. :) x

Locket Pocket said...

If I'd known I was going to be encouraging you to have too much Es Ee Ex then I'd never have gone sock wool shopping for you! You know it's bad for you!

Locket xx

Michaela said...

I can't understand why I seem to be getting so much of the blame here! Do not believe a word of it people - those socks are fantastic and very easy. They look way more complicated than they really are, I promise you!

I love the colours of that sock (and still think they'd look great with shorts!)

Oh yes, and Locket? Next time you go shopping round the corner in a super cheap yarn shop, think of me too will you?