Saturday, February 9, 2013

Knitting like a mad thing.....

.......that's what I've been doing, since 21st January when I cast on a cardigan. I'd had nine balls of lovely alpaca yarn sitting in my stash for three years and had never found just the right pattern for it - until 21st January when I happened upon Deco, written by Kate Davies who is a fabulous designer.

I want to knit all of her designs and have even treated myself to her new book Colours of Shetland, which is a beautifully written book with lovely evocative background pieces written about the inspiration behind each design and beautiful photos taken in Shetland.

There's lots of great colourwork knitting in the book and sweaters involving steeks - and I'm actually contemplating knitting such a scary thing before too long.

So, back to Deco (which isn't in the book but is a Ravelry download). I cast on just under three weeks ago and have knit and knit and knit in every possible spare moment and today, finally, I got out to buy buttons (purely decorative) and press studs  (to do it up with) and wide velvet ribbon (to line the buttonbands) and two hours later they were sewn on and now I'm wearing it and I'm never taking it off!
There's a bit of story behind the yarn. I bought 4 balls of it in a yarn shop three years ago, then found another 5 in a different shop six months later. Last week when I panicked and thought I might run out I looked online - it's a discontinued yarn - and found a shop with 7 balls left, so I bought all of them....just in case. So that's three different bundles of yarn, three different shops, over three years....and they are all exactly the same dye lot!! I know!!

Of course, I finished the cardigan with 5g left of the original 9 balls of yarn, and didn't use any of the 7 new ones....cough cough....

There's been little by way of craftual activity other than Deco - a little spinning, a little playing with the sewing machine, a little sock knitting but nothing that I was excited enough to blog about.

My Minx has been continuing her Weekend Pudding project - there's been a very chocolatey cheesecake, a totally gorgeous chocolate marble cake, and a white chocolate and strawberry cheesecake. This girl of mine knows no fear - no recipe looks too complicated or too full of ingredients as far as she's concerned.

Today she's made choux pastry and has presented us with this - Mary Berry's 'Paris Brest':

I might just have to allow myself a tiny slice :o)

Keep warm, keep dry and happy knitting!

Moogs xx

12 comments:

Ali said...

Send her this way if you're done with her - that looks like an amazing pud! And you have been a very busy knitter - love the look of your cardigan.

mrspao said...

What a beautiful cardigan. Maybe you could do a short sleeved version with your leftover yarn :)

That Paris Brest looks amazing. I bet it was delicious.

Quinn said...

What a perfect fit on your lovely new cardi! I like Kate's designs (and have followed her blog for years) too. The teapot cozy with the sheep carousel is making me seriously think about buying a new teapot as an excuse to knit the cozy.
Yum, on that luscious dessert. Aren't you lucky to have a pastry chef in the house!!

shabby girl said...

Beautiful sweater! Looks so soft and warm! You did a great job!
I'll be over for dessert! Yummy!

trash said...

Ooo! It looks luvverly all finished up. What colour band did you go for in the end?

Gina said...

Beautiful cardigan... and super looking dessert too!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- that sweater is gorgeous! The pattern looks like a winner. I love the gray color and it looks great on you too!

And, apparently I need a Minx -- that dessert looks delicious!

julie said...

Wow, you have had busy knitting fingers and the result is gorgeous! I do love Kate Davies patterns and this one looks so lovely in that yarn. You are so lucky to have a baking daughter, I will be dropping hints to Amy about weekend pudding making but I have a feeling they will fall of deaf ears!

tales from a handmade home said...

Beautiful pattern and gorgeous knitting, I found your link on Gina's blog.

How marvelous to have a little baker in the family, and such a clever one too.

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are truly nice thing if you are not understanding something fully, however this
post provides nice understanding yet.

Also visit my website Jayson

Leanne said...

OMG I put on weigh just looking at that yummy desert. Very nice cardigan it looks so lovely and soft.

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

oh so pleased to be back in blogland and catching up with all your adventures....