Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cosy

I know some people find this time of year very hard going, with the shorter days, long dark nights and grey weather and I can fully appreciate how you can feel like that, after the long bright days of summer are a distant memory.


However, I feel each season has it's merits and something I truly love about the  transition from autumn through to winter is the opportunity it gives me to cosy down and indulge myself with comforting indoor activities, scented candles and comforting (but healthy!) food, without feeling guilty for not being out and about, dashing around here and there the way I seem to do all summer long.


This week's wet, grey, dismal days have certainly given me ample time to indulge - apart from venturing out to make sure Merlin has had a jolly good walk, I've spent a good deal of time indoors and have managed to rediscover my knitting mojo, which had been missing in action since the beginning of September.

A recent post on Yarn Harlot's blog had me scurrying to Ravelry to purchase a new pattern, just perfect for some Christmas knitting. Some might say I became rather obsessed with knitting these - three pairs were done in four days, with non-stop knitting squeezed in around work, feeding people and Moog walking. Three late nights are a small price to pay for ticking several gifts off the Christmas list.


I still have at least two more pairs of these in my head, waiting to be knitted and there's no signs of boredom setting in, which is the sign of a really great pattern.

An unexpected sleepover invitation meant that Minx was away for most of Saturday but the first thing she did when she got back this morning was make Saturday/Sunday pudding. Having two brand new cookbooks for inspiration meant, of course, that she went onto Google to look for the right recipe (!!).

This time, a very simple and straightforward but no doubt very delicious concoction of whipped cream, lemon curd, crushed ginger biscuits and blueberries, artfully arranged in layers - Lemon and Blueberry Pots. Now chilling in the fridge ready for tonight's dinner.


I'll be having a dish of fruit salad whilst gazing wistfully at my family as they demolish this rather mouthwatering summery dessert.

In other news, it's been a milestone week in Moogshouse - my lovely boy turned into a teenager. I have no idea how that happened. Surely, it can't be 13 years since I first saw that gorgeous little face. Don't tell him but I still love to gaze at him when he's asleep - he still looks like my baby boy when he's sleeping :o)


Now, while I head back to my snuggly chair for more knitting I'll leave you with a gratuitous Merlin Moog photo.....just because....


Hope you're keeping warm, dry and safe, wherever you may be xxx

9 comments:

Quinn said...

I agree about appreciating the qualities of each season, and it's a good thing since I live in New England. This morning it was 22F (which Professor Google tells me is -5.5C), so the wool socks are definitely back in rotation.

I love the picture of the cyclamen...it glows even in dim light :)

Kaz said...

Ooo those puddings look scrummy, I like a bit of lemon curd. It's so lovely to see youngsters enjoying cooking (my 13 year old niece is a mean baker).
Happy Birthday to your son too.
Thanks for the photo of Merlin, he has grown into a handsome boy too. I shall direct my sis and family to your blog so they can have a nosey at Jess's half brother. I have loads of photos of Jess on facebook, I shall have to try and find you on there so you can see. xx

Calidore said...

I'm with you on the snuggling down in a warm house with suitable crafty occupations when the weather turns cold. Love the mittens - that is certainly a good pattern when you have knitted so many pairs already...lol. Dessert looks amazing, Merlin is, as always gorgeous and Happy Birthday to your boy. I know what it's like to suddenly have them turn into a teenager. It's scary and exciting at the same time.

Josh said...

Love the mitts - I'll have the middle pair please! And I'm not on a diet (should be, but that's a whole other story!), so send a pudding round for me. Lovely to see a picture of Merlin Moog - was wondering how much he's changed since last I saw his puppy picture - and my word, what a handsome young doggy he is!

Love Mrs Stashbasket x

Julie said...

You've cheered me up Lesley and I'll try not to be a grouse about the dull days. Minx's pudding looks delicious. Happy Birthday to your new teenager. And yes, your Merlin is beautiful!

julie said...

It definitely is the season for cosying up and I can't think of a nicer way to keep cosy than knitting wristwarmers - how funny that we've both been obsessed with them lately! I love that pattern and those yarns you've used are gorgeous, there will be some very happy people on christmas morning!

Thimbleanna said...

I'm with you -- I love the seasons. Our youngest hates the cold weather so he's moved south -- I just don't get it. I don't like to be cold, but I sure love winter. Those lemon pots look divine. As do those wrist warmers -- looks like you're having a great time knitting!

Locket Pocket said...

The only problem with your plan to cosy down and enjoy the winter evenings is when circumstances force you to be outside when it's cold and raining instead of inside in the warm! I'm meant to be taking the girls to running club tonight and then going off with a friend to run up and down a hill 6 times before picking the girls back up! I'm already trying to think of a good excuse for the girls not to go to running club even though I know it will still be on whatever the weather :o(

Those mitts are gorgeous - so are the pudding, your teenager and your lovely Merlin Moog!

magpieandbutton said...

Those desserts look ever so yummy, and those warmers so snug and lovely! Thank you for sharing, Maggie.