Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Monster blankets and spidery cakes

Well, so far so good. We seem to be having a very happy half-term week off, although it would be nice if my daughter could manage to stay in bed beyond 6.15am!

The days have been full, with long dog walks, buying enormous new school shoes (size 9 for my boy!!), getting ready for Hallowe'en and treating myself to a couple of gorgeous new skirts because none of mine fit me any more. I cannot tell you how exciting it was to try on four skirts and have them all fit - five sizes smaller than before!

There's been no spinning, knitting or sewing but there has been oodles of crochet. The Flowers in the Snow was finished two days ago - after two years of lying neglected the last 80% of it was done in two days!


Naturally, whilst racing to finish this blanket my brain was already planning the next one. So, within minutes of sewing in the last end of Flowers in the Snow I had started the foundation chain for another crochet blanket. A Granny Stripe blanket using the tutorial from Lucy at Attic 24.

The idea is to use up all those leftover colours from previous crochetings. That's the idea. The reality involved a quick trip to the local wool shop for a ball or five of other colours that I felt I was lacking!

(this is day one - it's now four times as many rows longer)

It was supposed to be throw sized, to have by the sofa, but something happened and I may have forgotten to stop when doing that foundation row. The throw became a monster of a blanket big enough for our king-size bed. I've done 8164 treble crochet stitches and reckon I have at least four times that many still to go!

Minx has been busy in the kitchen baking for Hallowe'en. We decided against sweets for trick or treat this year and I gave MInx full reign with the food colouring, so we have bright blue cakes with bright green and black icing. Some small children will need scraping off the ceiling after eating these :o)


Happy Hallowe'en to all you trick or treaters out there :o)

xxx

p.s. have just realised stoopid blogger has been putting some of your comments into a folder awaiting moderation, so please don't think I've been ignoring you, I just hadn't realised you were there!

11 comments:

Carol Q said...

absolutely gorgeous blanket and I bet those cakes went in a flash.

Angela said...

What a fabulous blanket, well done for finishing it.

Calidore said...

Gorgeous blanket. Well done on finishing it - it was so worth the effort. Love the cakes too - bet they were delicious.

Gina said...

The blanket is fabulous. I can't believe the speed you crochet! The cakes look brilliant!

Ali said...

Finishing that blanket must have felt so good! Not to mention the whole 5 sizes smaller clothes - you must be a total twiglet now! Can you sense the remorse in my voice at having scoffed plenty of the kids' halloween treats tonight?

French Knots said...

five sizes smaller!!?? Good grief that's amazing, shopping must have been a total dream. What an achievement!
You are the fastest crocheter in the country - or else you just stay up all night, the blanket is beautiful, an heirloom of the future.xx

Kaz said...

Wow well done on the weight loss - you obviously have been avoiding Minx's cakes ;)
I love the blanket on the bed, it's so lovely and colourful.
I hope Merlin is doing well? Jess is bonkers and has got really fluffy now she's almost 3 just like her dad's coat only black and white. Oh and she loves the tv too! x

Thimbleanna said...

Love, Love, Love that blanket -- I'll bet you'll really enjoy it. Those cupcakes look delicious too -- so cute for Halloween!

Locket Pocket said...

You know how much I love that blanket! And Minx's cakes are fabulous too :o) I just wish I could crochet as quickly as you! Me xx

Unknown said...

LOVE those cakes!!! The blanket is gorgeous- lovely colours. I've finaly gotten my very own laptop, so I'm finally able to read blogs again-LOL! Have a nice weekend:-)
PS: I made those owly socks with pearls on them- plus a pair of matching fingerless mitts- thanks for the inspiration:-)

urban craft said...

I don't care that Halloween's over, I'm making spider cupcakes.