Friday, May 14, 2010

Eye candy

There's something very precious indeed about a day off.

A day all to yourself.

A day when you can indulge yourself.

A day when you choose to ignore all but the most necessary of housework and laundry.

A day when you find yourself making beautiful things worth sharing.

A day when you can make your bloggy friends scroll down a billion times to find out what the heck Mrs Moog is whittering on about ;o)

The first day since waaaay before Easter when your day off plans have not gone awry.

The next bit may shock you........I haven't knit even so much as a single solitary stitch today!!

I know!!!!!

Who would have thought it?

I have, however, baked.



You HAVE to make this - no really - you HAVE to! Another perfect recipe for those manky eating apples.

Believe it or not this is an apple cake. An incredibly simple, awesomely deeeeelicious, crumbly-sweet-bestwhenstillwarmonlyatinybitleftthreehourslaterthankstoMrMoog-apple cake.

I found the recipe on the internet. I was terribly hi-tech and took the laptop into the (tiny) kitchen (being too eager to stop and write it down) and followed the recipe 'live'.

Unfortunately, my techno-tastic abilities stopped there and I forgot to save the link - although I did remember the recipe and wrote it down ten minutes after it came out of the oven (do wish I could link to the brilliant cook who posted this recipe but I've resurfed and can't find it).

Here's how to make it:

8oz self-raising (all purpose) flour
pinch salt
1 heaped teaspoon ground mixed spice
3oz margarine
10oz sugar OR 6oz if you use manky eating apples
8oz peeled and sliced apples (cooking or eating)
1 egg

Cream sugar and marg. Beat in the egg. Add the flour, salt, spice and chopped up apple. Mix together. This makes a stiff mixture and at this point I lost the faith and added a splashette of milk.

Okay, all topsy turvy in recipe terms ....by now you should have preheated your oven to gas 4 or 350degrees or whatever your oven does AND you would of course have greased and lined a 7 to 8 inch round cake tin.

Then you can turn that big glob of far too dry looking appley cake mix into your pre-prepared tin.

Once it starts to brown on top place some greaseproof paper on top to stop it burning (this bit REALLY worked!!!) and let it cook for 1 to 1 and a quarter hours. Stick something pointy into your cake and if it comes out clean it's cooked....if not give it a little longer.

When I took mine out of the oven I immediately sprinkled sugar over the top.
Have a slice with a cup of tea about twenty minutes later. You might as well cos by the time the bu**ers have been home for five minutes there'll be none bl***y left ;o)

Luckily I have four more manky apples just a-waiting my bakerly skills tomorrow!
.
.
.
Remember that bit about not knitting?

You'll be mighty relieved to know I haven't gone a whole day entirely yarn free. However, I must warn you this has not been a day for posh and natural delicious sock-yarn. Today has been a man-made kind of a day.

Today, thanks to me spending far too much time looking at crochety loveliness on Ravelry in the wee small hours of this morning, I have got my ergonomic hook and my big posh Primarni-darling it only cost me £6!!!!!!CathKidstonlookeelikee (IMHO)-bag of acryliano yarn out of mothballs and have exercised my carpel tunnels with a mahoosive bit of grannying.


Some hours later I have two of these ten inch squares done and another three on the way. We're heading for a blanket here. At least that's the plan!

This next photo is an entirely gratuitous shot to show you just how perfect my little world is ;o)



Happy hooking!
xxx

22 comments:

Quinn said...

The crocheting looks lovely - and coordinated with your pretty mug, as well - now that's a sign of an orderly life and mind, right? Of course it is!

Now, as you are fortified with yummy cake and rested from your day off, would you kindly take your camera and head off to visit Young Harvey Stashbasket? I think his mum may be too busy to take many bloggy photos at the moment. ;)

Amanda Makes said...

Hey... looks good to me; man made or not!I laughed out loud when I read your receipe because I'd just been lamenting the pile of 'past their best eating apples' in my kitchen! Not any more! Much love, Amanda xxx

marit said...

mmmm, yummy! But there is no more time to bake applecakes before the festivities tomorrow, so I'll just kep it in mind!
That granny and the teacup looks rather nice too;-)

Have a great weekend!

marit said...

mmmm, yummy! But there is no more time to bake applecakes before the festivities tomorrow, so I'll just kep it in mind!
That granny and the teacup looks rather nice too;-)

Have a great weekend!

wonderwoman said...

i just happen to have some manky apples!!!! was going to give them to the horses later but they might have to make do with carrots instead! I love the crocheting - am still making my blanket squares which may turn into a blanket one day!!!
xxx

julie said...

wow that cake looks so good! Appley cake is definitely one of my favourites. Gorgeous grannying too - don't forget to show us when it's finished.

dottycookie said...

Acryliano indeed - they won't let you back into Loop you know. And I nearly spat my tea at the screen at your last sentence ;-)

The cake looks delicious. Is there any left? Thought not. They eat cake for breakfast on the continent - just sayin'.

Locket Pocket said...

Surely perfection requires a happy slice of cake to be included in that final picture?

What granny pattern are you following or are you just making it up as you go along? I want to shamelessly copy you now!

Locket xxx

P.S Thank you for sharing your happiness! ;o)

Locket Pocket said...

P.S. Just re-read the recipe part of your post and I have one question - you mention havin 4 more manky apples but what I want to know is why you don't just buy nice ones?

Gina said...

I was all ready to leave a sensible comment but I'm choking on my cake and cappucino... I think you know why!

Angela said...

Your apple looks lovely, so nice in fact I might have to make it myself.
You might be interested to know that the word verification for this comment is "oventop".

Jane said...

Wow! that cake look delicious, no wonder the family polish it off so quick. Loving your crochet squares too. Jane x

Chris said...

First you knit luvverly socks - I have downloaded & printed the instructions off Ravelry - now cake!
Will buy lots of extra apples at next supermarket visit in order to leave some to go manky to bake delicious cake
Thank you!
Chris x

monda-loves said...

Mrs Moog, I'm soo glad you posted this recipe because I too have manky apples to use and I'm not entirely sure what to do with them (after using half of them making a vat of chutney earlier in the week).
You manage to make acrylic yarn look lovely with your giant granny. I must learn to granny (and copy you in a Locket style!)

Monda
x

silverpebble said...

Oh I do like what I see. Oh yes indeedyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

French Knots said...

I've just bought a big bag of acryic yarn to make a blanket but as I bought it online some of the colours are really dire! I'll just have to console myself with yummy manky apple cake!xx

trash said...

i feel so happy looking at your blissful little world i could skip. In fact you might say ...

Kitty said...

Lovely crocheting Mrs M ... and that cake ... I can smell it through the screen! :) x

Michaela said...

Happy Hooking? Woman you have so got to be joking! Ergonomic hook notwithstanding, I just don't do the whole hooky thing. It's beyond me. Many have tried to teach me, but my fingers won't hold the yarn properly and they start to ache after only a few rows.

No, I shall stick to the pointy sticks thank-you very much. Oh and that cake? Just send me a slice down would you - but as I have loads of manky apples, I could always just bake one myself. I have made 2 dozen choc chip cookies though tonight, and they're quite nice too!

Tonya Gunn said...

I love the granny squares!
Warm wishes, Tonya

quiltygal said...

Cake looks lovely if I wasnt on a diet Id try it.....love the Granny!!

DEBBIE said...

Love the colors that you`ve choosen for your crochet.
The cake looks super yummy too!

DEBBIE MOSS