Friday, March 19, 2010

Spicy apple muffins



A sudden urge to bake muffins combined with three rather manky looking dessert apples has resulted in possibly THE most delicious muffins I have ever made.

I adapted a banana muffin recipe and tweeked a bit, by adding a dollop of homemade rhubarb and apple jam and plenty of spice.

Thought I'd share the recipe.....cos I'm not sharing my muffins!

Moogsmum's Spicy Apple Muffins

Makes 12

What you need:

200g (7oz) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ground cloves and ground cinnamon, to taste - I used just under a teaspoon of each.
3 manky dessert apples
1 heaped dessertspoon jam - I used homemade rhubarb and apple but apricot would do
150g(5oz) granulated sugar
1 egg
75g (2 1/2 oz) butter, melted

What to do:

- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/ gas mark 4. Place 12 paper cake cases in your muffin tin.

- Sift together the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt, ground cloves and cinnamon.

- Peel and finely chop the apples. Place them in a saucepan with the jam and about a tablespoon of water. Heat gently over a low heat for a few minutes just to soften the apples a bit.

- Puree the apple mixture - I used a handheld blender for this. It doesn't need to be too smooth, just not big and chunky.

- Combine the apple puree with the sugar, egg and melted butter in a large bowl.

- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine well.

- Spoon mixture into muffin cases and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until springy to the touch.

- Lovely served warm with a hot cup of tea :)

Note: to make banana muffins, substitute three mashed ripe bananas for the apple and jam mixture and omit the spices.

Enjoy xxxx

15 comments:

Gina said...

How mean not to share your muffins!
I suppose the recipe will just have to do. Rather a lot of lovely knitting going on at your house... no wonder you have sore thumbs!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love how manky fruit can be baked up into a delicious cake and nobody would know they were so close to being binned. They sound yummy.

dottycookie said...

Oooh, always good to have manky fruit recipes!

wonderwoman said...

are you really sure you can't spare just one? They look lovely!

xxx

Locket Pocket said...

I think those will sound yummy in another couple of days......

JP said...

I shall defo have a go - they look delish! - I often end up with manky fruit!

Julie said...

I shall have to go shopping for suitable jam to add to the apples. Thanks for the recipe. :o)

marit said...

yummy....

Twiggy said...

Look scrummy. Might have a go at these as I fancy a spot of baking this weekend. Nana Twigs has made us a couple of jars of rhubarb jam, just the thing.
Hope your thumb feels better.
twiggy x

French Knots said...

I use manky fruit up in muffins and crumbles too, my daughter was horrified when she caught me chopping manky apples! Still ate the crumble tho!
Will try out your muffins, look delish.x

julie said...

wow, they look good - thanks so much for sharing the recipe, can't wait to give it a try! Hope your thumb is feeling better - I sometime sit in the evening with mine on a hotwater bottle if it's aching from over use! seems to help a bit.

Thimbleanna said...

Well...they certainly LOOK delicious!!!

dotterypottery said...

mmmm, they look delicious - I've got about 8 manky looking bananas to use up today, must make some banana bread or something.

silverpebble said...

Now THIS looks like a total winner. I'm off down Tesco's to look for a sign reading 'manky apples'.

Hope you're having a lovely lovely time today xxx

quiltygal said...

you have been busy they look yummy shame Im on a diet!! hope the thumbs are better....