Thursday, November 29, 2012

Something from nothing - with love from me to you, part 2 xxx

I'm so glad you liked the wreath ring 'tutorial'. Next step is the really fun bit - decorating it.

Once again, I was determined to spend nothing and use only what I could unearth from my stash. I spent a while on Pinterest gathering inspiration and after a couple of failed attempts with pompoms and funny little layered fabric flowers I finally settled on fabric roses.

I rummaged in my fabric cupboard and came up with long thin scraps of quilting cottons that I bought years ago in bundles from The Cotton Patch for £1, knowing that someday they'd be useful for something.

After years of having a very traditional wreath on the front door, with lots of gold and holly leaves and berries, this is a real change but one I'm happy to make. So, without further ado.....here it is....


A close up of those roses - made with long strips of fabric and a glue gun (involving swearing and burned fingers but so worth it!)...
The leaves were made by cutting leaf shapes out of scraps of the hessian and an old cub scouts sweatshirt.

And a close up of the fabric wrapping on the ring - took three attempts with the ricrac as it kept ending up about two inches too short!


I also had a quick play with making a different shape...


Strangely for me, I went for very neutral colours...


Of course, the heart still needs some decoration, which will probably involve buttons and possibly tiny strings of beads but not just yet because now I'm ( naturally) totally obsessed with making hundreds of fabric roses and have four million ideas for how I'm going to use them - but first I need to go and buy up Hobbycraft's entire stock of glue gun sticks!

Happy sticking!

Moogs xxx

14 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Your wreath is adorable! I'm so impressed that you didn't have to go and buy anything new -- very clever! Now, you should probably warn your children -- they might wake up with fabric roses glued to their foreheads!

julie said...

wow Mrs Moog - you're on a roll here! It's lovely to see so many posts from you again and all of them packed with crafty gorgeousness!

Anonymous said...

Wow haven't you been busy. They all look fantastic. I'll know which street you live on if I'm ever there at this time of year as I suspect everyone will have been mooged...... for all to see.

Kaz said...

absolutely bloomin' gorgeous is all I can say! Love those flowers, they are worth the swearing. Can't wait to see the finished heart - it already looks scrummy x

Daisie said...

Beautiful! I get my glue sticks for the gun at Poundland, makes the fun less guilt ridden :)
x

Ali said...

Glue gunners leave no fingerprints....

Love love love the finished wreath. Sometimes it is so good just to change things up a bit.

Locket Pocket said...

It's fabulous Lesley! Are you going to show us how to make the roses.....????

xx

Annie Cholewa said...

I LOVE it, so clever, quite different, and fun!

Our wreath *always* falls off our door and gets squished, I need to try something like this :)

Julie said...

I was just about to go to bed when I noticed you had blogged - twice!- and I had missed them both. My head is now buzzing with all these wonderful exciting wreathy things and I will be playing too :-) They're fantastic and I love the lacey type one, I can't wait to see what you add to it.. Scrummy! I found a big bag of plastic bags today so now I know what to do with them :-)

Gina said...

That is fabulous... and I love those roses!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Twiggy said...

Ooo you are clever, they look wonderful.
Twiggy x

Angela said...

I love your wreath.I have lots of fabric roses in a bag some where now I have to find them. Thanks for the inspiration.

silverpebble said...

Moogs. You're a genius. The end.