Sunday, August 23, 2009

Playing catch up

I'm not quite sure what's happened to this poor little blog just recently. It's suffering neglect as I've ignored it in order to just chill and enjoy my summer break from work and school.

My crafting has suffered too. I just can't bear having piles of sewing mess about, adding to the ever growing piles of mess created by my two little beasties.

Fortunately, my need for stitchy gorgeousness was very much satisfied by a rather yummy parcel from my lovely Seaside Swap partner, Beth.




Everything in the parcel is so summery and cheerful. I love the little button magnets - now adorning the fridge - and the handsewn pincushion is adorable, especially as I know Beth stitched it whilst sitting on the beach :)

Best of all, though, is the most gorgeous mini quilt, with my very favourite seasidey thing of all - beach huts.



A very special addition to my hallway wall of bloggy goodness.


Thank you so much for my lovely goodies Beth :)

In case you want to see what I made for Beth follow this link.


Sooooo.....just what have I been doing I hear you ask?

There's been a whole lot of sockage going on.

Clockwise from to top left: a pair for me in Regia's Kaffe Fassett yarn; the first of a pair for Minx - it's partner cast on this morning; the second attempt at a pair of lace patterned socks - couldn't even get the first attempt over my heel so now on bigger dpns; teaching myself to knit toe up on two circular needles - a new and much easier than I feared obsession.


We've also just got back from a lovely week in Cornwall.....

.....Minx relaxing after two solid hours of bodyboarding......



........Monster undertaking a major civil engineering project to hold back the tide.....



.....sadly flooded twenty minutes later ;)

.....exploring beautiful Boscastle....



......with it's famous (and very loud) blowhole....



......pretty fishermen's cottages.....


......and beautiful views....



.....and plenty of time on the beach. This is my favourite - Sandymouth beach, a few miles north of Bude. Fortunately we were there at low tide, giving us a huge expanse of sandy beach to lose ourselves in.



As lovely as it was, it's great to be home. Especially as we came home to fresh eggs, tomatoes, runner beans and salad potatoes from the garden :)


Now, I'm not going to promise to catch up on all the blog reading I've missed - especially with three pairs of socks still to finish - but we're home for the rest of the holidays and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to.

xxxx

22 comments:

Beth said...

I loved swapping with you, too! Your beach vacation looked lovely. Isn't it always hard to come home??

Anonymous said...

look like you all had a wonderful time!!!

Julie said...

Quite right too! Why shouldn't you enjoy a chill time with your lovely family? :) Cornwall looks beautiful as ever. Glad you had a great time. I am very envious of your beachy swaps, that's a really good idea to display things in your hallway. Enjoy the rest oF the hols

maria said...

Hi, I love the gifts you received from Beth, I made a beachut mini quilt for the swap too.
Glad you had a good week on Cornwall, we got home from a week there yesterday. My husband and son did lots of body boarding too butI wimped out!
Have you read The Forgotten Garden yet?

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Ooooh lovely seasidey post. I love all the goodies your swap friend sent you and the photos of Cornwall. You might like to see my latest post for more pictures of Cornwall. Did you go to St. Ives?

Carolyn

wonderwoman said...

looks like you had a lovely holiday - and brilliant socks!
how great was your parcel - i'm rather partial to beachhuts myself!


xxxxxxxxxx

silverpebble said...

Hello Mrs M, I was thinking of you this morning, wondering how you were. SO glad you're still around and about. Glad you've had even more lovely times - and by the sea aswell.

Excellent swappage - what sweet little beach huts!

trash said...

Lovely sockage and triffic package there Missus. Did you get my text yesterday?

Gina said...

Good to see you back. Sounds as though you've been having an excellent summer.

Rachel said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful summer! Lovely swap goodies - your quilt wall is looking great, thanks again for taking part. And the socks look fab too - I've hardly managed any sewing these hols (for pretty much the same reasons as you) but have only managed one pair of socks (and even that's not quite finished yet!)
R x

Leanne said...

Thank you for taking me back to Boscastle. We had such a wonderful time there when we were in England. I am impressed with Monsters civil engineering project.

Quinn said...

I am so enjoying all these bloggy holidays and especially trips to the beach :)

And the socks looks fabulous!

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Woman -- you're a virtual sock making machine! Those socks are all just gorgeous! I knew I'd seen that swap package somewhere -- and lo and behold I had -- it's Beth's (but you knew that LOL!) Great gifties!!!

Angela said...

Nice to have you back.That was a lovely parcel from Beth especially the quilt.Like you I love beach huts, I think there is something magical and secretive about them. Everybody else just thinks I'm bonkers but I'm sure you understand.
The socks are looking good.

karenshopes said...

Oh I went to Boscastle this year too, its a lovely little place isnt it.Your beach swaps look really great.Its wonderful to participate with other bloggers like that, its very exciting.
Karen

Locket Pocket said...

It's good to have you back Missus! Great swappage and sockage! And lovely holiday photos too!

Me xxx

kelly said...

what a lovely swap parcel - lucky you, & all the socks look great x

Fenland Textile Studio said...

Cornwall looks fantastic in your photos. Wonderful socks too. As to coming home to eggs and freash veggies, we also love that!

Mavis said...

Just a thimbleful

Glorious Cornwall, how I love it! We have been going to the same spot for over 40 years and never tire of it. How DO you manage all those socks, you must be a very speedy knitter!

dottycookie said...

You came back just when we did - we were in Devon and wasn't the South West lovely last week? Just as we left the weather started to bredak, and we felt very sorry for the poor people staying in tents ...

Make the most of the rest of the hols - I intend to do the same!

JuliaB said...

Hi!. Great to see you back!! Hope your trip to Cornwall wasn't as rainy as ours - we went to Boscastle too, lovely place. Did you go in the museum??? xx

French Knots said...

Lovely swap package! What a super pincushion.

What sock yarn are you using for those socks for Minx - I love the colours?!